Author Topic: Nottingham Borough Asylum  (Read 10606 times)

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Borough Asylum
« Reply #27 on: Friday 04 September 15 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi WarBrideDaughter,

Welcome to rootschat,  I'll have a look for you at the Asylum books for you I cannot remember off hand which books are open to view or which are still closed books I think the one's for 1927 will be still closed some admissions books are missing but may be able to look in the case books for him.

I may go into the archives today if not it will be next week.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline WarBrideDaughter

• No PM
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 04 September 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you to both chempat and nottsgirl1 for the welcome to rootschat and such quick responses to my query. :)

Thank you chempat for the link to the history of the asylum. It is very interesting reading, and somewhat reassuring re: the conditions and amenities there. I find it rather astonishing that it became so overcrowded so quickly, however I guess it served a large area. I haven't yet located the Nottingham Borough Asylum in the 1911 census but will try again at the library, and include variations of his name, which was often mistranscribed over the census years.

Thank you nottsgirl1 for your very kind offer to check at the Nottingham Archives. I forgot about the 100 year rule of course, but, as you say there may be something from his 1902 (patient #313437) or 1906 (patient #18965) admissions. Fingers crossed. I just find it so sad that he spent the last 20 years of his life there.  :'(

Again, thank you so much for your help.

WarBrideDaughter

Offline garibaldired

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 September 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
If you look at the Nottingham Archives website it gives details about how to apply to see records marked "closed" or "restricted".
I was able to access such a record about a patient, on application.

Offline WarBrideDaughter

• No PM
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 04 September 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you garibaldired. That might be a possibility in my case. Will see.
WarBrideDaughter

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 04 September 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi WarBrideDaughter,

I went into the archives today and had a look for Zaccheus Worton unfortunately the admissions books for 1902, 1907 and early 1906 are not there. Had a look in some case books that cover those years and he was not in them. 

There is a Register of Deaths 1927-1930 but it is a closed access until 2031 Ref SO/HO/6/3/6/1
and a Death Notices 1925-1930 closed until 2031 Ref SO/HO/6/3/5/3
and a Chronic Registers 1888-1915 closed until 2016  Ref SO/HO/6/1/3/1
he could be in one of those which might have more details on and help to locate him in the cases books but as they are closed I cannot access them. You could email the archives and ask them to do a search giving them the Refs numbers with his name and the details that you have, they may charge a fee.

Sorry not much help to you :(

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline WarBrideDaughter

• No PM
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 05 September 15 01:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Nottsgirl1,
Thank you so much for all of your work to locate records for Zaccheus Worton. I don't know how to thank you enough, you are so wonderful. You have given me all of these references to use when contacting the Nottingham Archives to request access to records. At the very least, one more year and a part of the record will be available. I've learned in the 11 years that I've been chipping away at my family history that patience is its own reward! Again, thank you so much for your assistance. You have been of immeasurable help.
WarBrideDaughter.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 05 September 15 07:10 BST (UK) »
This looks like the Ancestry link you might need to find the Asylum:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g1w/

It is piece 20592, so an exact search on that should also work.

(But cannot see him)