Author Topic: St Peter's Dalbeth Cemetery  (Read 10921 times)

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
St Peter's Dalbeth Cemetery
« on: Sunday 05 June 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
I’ve just used credits on SP Catholic Burials and Death register and I found my G/Granma (Catherine Kelly) is buried in Lair 134, Section 15, Division W (cost £1.16s!).  She died in Feb 1920.

Is there any way I can find out who else is buried with her?  Its unlikely that there is a headstone, as my rellies were all too poor to buy one!

I’ve looked for her husband (John Kelly died May 1910) on the same register but no luck.
Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Peter's Dalbeth Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 11 17:33 BST (UK) »
From another thread

Seamus, K44,
The cemetery is still operated by the Catholic Church at Clyde Street in Glasgow. Although I'm not sure if they will keep a lair plan there, I would imagine they could give you the contact number for the Cemetery's head groundsman.

Gerry
Archdiocese of Glasgow
196 Clyde Street,
Glasgow,
G1 4JY

mailto:info@rcag.org.uk

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 June 11 18:39 BST (UK) »
As sancti has posted the cemetery is operated by the Catholic Church,
There is also a copy of burial records for here at The Mitchel Library in Glasgow.
However I would advise you contact the archivist at The Scottish Catholic Archives in Edinburgh. Email them at  - archivists[at]scottishcatholicarchives.org.uk(replace [at] with @)
I know from my own research and others that they are very helpful.

I will pop down to St Peter's through the week and see if the lair has a headstone for you.
Good Luck.
Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 June 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your offer, Gerry, much appreciated  - although I doubt very much that a headstone would have been there in the first place.  Like I said, my rellies were awfy poor!

I'll send an email straight away.  Thanks again
Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

Offline angelai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 July 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry
My Gr Grandfather Robert Kelt is also buried in  section 15, Lair # 2030 Could you please see if there is a headstone for him. I was over there  in May on vacation and went to my grandmothers headstone in section 17 on the way back a very heavy hail storm came down so my search was over. I never made it back there to the graveyard during my trip.
Thanks Ang.

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I have also found rellies at St.Peter's.A Charles McInally,married Elizabeth Wedlock.              Charles was apparently buried in a common grave,Jan? 1929.I don't know what this number represents:17585,but these others are explicit,Lair 1635,Section 18 Division W.Like others,I expect there is no headstone,but if anyone is looking...Happy New Year to you all,and thank you for all the help I have received this year. :-*

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 January 13 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Email the Scottish Catholic Archives in Edinburgh with the lair number, see what they come up with.

archivists@scottishcatholicarchives.org.uk
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline dadumc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 01:17 GMT (UK) »
I too have relatives at St. Peter's Cemetery.  I hope some day to visit.  Their names are Patrick Sweeney DOD 26 May 1892 & his wife Catherine McCulloch DOD 20 May 1895.  The lot number I believe is 685-9-E.  Many thanks for a photo or any more info.
McKean/McKen
Sweeney/Sweeney
McCulloch
McComell

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 10:53 GMT (UK) »
The cemetery is still operated by the Catholic Church at Clyde Street in Glasgow. Although I'm not sure if they will keep a lair plan there, I would imagine they could give you the contact number for the Cemetery's head groundsman.

Archdiocese of Glasgow
196 Clyde Street,
Glasgow,
G1 4JY

mailto:info@rcag.org.uk

This previous quote is very relative I have just placed a headstone where there was none on my Grt grandparents and my paternal grandfathers last resting place in St Peters Cemetery the Archdiocese contact was very helpful and the grave yard is well laid out and easy to walk round though my grand father and grt grandfather died before the lair was purchased and lie in common ground I have added them to the headstone along with my grt grandmother and her sons and a grand son who are in the grave I have also added my fathers name and my recently passed aunty who are their grand children to the memorial stone it is very emotive feeling but feels rewarding to be able to do this as my father and his sister never knew any of them it just feels right and I hope the others who are looking find the same sense of remembrance that I felt.
Henderson
Crawford