Author Topic: Roderick Meyler (otherwise Meylor) of Newborough, exciseman -- mid-18th c.  (Read 15029 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick Meyler (otherwise Meylor) of Newborough, exciseman -- mid-18th c.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Both wills, William (1821) and Thomas (1823) are viewable on line at Find My Past

Offline gordon01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 January 15 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hanes, well that is pretty categorical that his wife took over the business.

Interesting how William Meyler's 2nd wife and children had little or nothing to do with the bookselling business. William Morgan Meyler ended up in the medical profession in Gloucester.

Offline mrs.family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 September 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
Coming late to this discussion, but the Roderick MEYLER of Tremynydd [Tremunny] of St Davids PEM, baptised 1726, may not be the Anglesey exciseman.
There is a Will 1788 of Thomas Harries of PEM in which a Roderick Meyler is mentioned as a yeoman tenant.
It seems more likely that this is the '1726' chap, and the exciseman is somebody else entirely.

Offline mrs.family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 September 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
Question please -
Thomas Salway MEYLER who was a bookseller and died in BATH, left a will in which he left an annuity to his father's wife Alice ['mother in law' and wife of late father].
Wm Meyler the bookseller of Bath was married twice I understand - but neither wife was an Alice.....
On the other hand, I have a Wm Meyler in Fishguard PEM who married an Alice [I think he was a widower] and died a few years before Thos Salway Meyler.........
Can somebody cast a light on this please?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 September 20 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi mrs.family.

Mother in Law means Step Mother as you likely know.

Thomas S Meyler was buried 12 Aug 1823 age 41 so his Step Mother Alice was still alive.

Earlier reply Dec 2014;

ALICE Meylor (Mrs), Buried  20 Oct 1827, Bath Abbey, age 74, abode Bath St (birth c 1753)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 September 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Gosh he remarried fast;
Betsey MEYLER was only buried 19 Jan 1786
I suppose with young children it was the thing to do.   

Marriage;
30 Jul 1786, Holy Trinity, Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire
William MEYLER
Parish St. Peter & Paul, Abode Bath, Somerset***
Spouse Alice HYATT
By Licence
(FreeREG)

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline mrs.family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 September 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish - sorted 
x Elaine

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 September 20 06:51 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Elaine :)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 September 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
The Times, January 20, 1786, p.3 "A few days since, died at Bath, Mrs Meyler, wife of Mr Meyler bookseller, in the Grove

The Times, January 22, 1790, p.4 "Bath January 19. Arrived here....Mr and Mrs R Meyler...."

There is also a report in The Times, August 25, 1829, p.3, relating to a court case at Hereford Aug 22 Doe. Dem Meyler vs Bright, in which it describes a dispute over land claimed by one party following their common ancestors' death. The land in question was at Carvega, Whitchurch, Pembrokeshire. The gravestone was removed from the church in Whitchurch, as evidence and stated "Thomas Meyler son of  Richard and Elizabeth Meyler, late of Caravega in  this parish who died Jan ye 10th 1748, aged 69; also Anne, who died 5th August 1757, aged 61."
Caravega is in Whitchurch, is just down the road from St David's near Solva. 

I'm trying to get my head around the relationships between the descendants, since the court seems to be saying that the two descendants were supposed to have been 2nd and 3rd sons, but in act got the order wrong, so it case was all about reclaiming land that should have passed to the correct son, from which these two were descended (I think). One name mentioned as a common ancestor was a  Francis Meyler, apothecary, Haverfordwest. I'm trying to get my head around i, since it all seems a bit complicated, but it might be relevant to the  Pembrokeshire  family.