Author Topic: Highlight a message to post in another part of the thread?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Highlight a message to post in another part of the thread?
« on: Monday 06 June 11 02:57 BST (UK) »
Please how do I highlight a passage from one part of a thread to another part of the same thread.  I've seen the "blue" passages which saves having to type it all out.

Thank you
Ceeoh

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: Highlight a message to post in another part of the thread?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 11 03:19 BST (UK) »
Please how do I highlight a passage from one part of a thread to another part of the same thread.

What you do is click on the 2nd from right BBC tag (2nd row) which causes <
> to be put in the body of your reply.  Then copy the required bit and past it between these 2 tags.  Actually, better to do the copy bit first, then click reply and click the tag.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Please how do I highlight a passage from one part of a thread to another part of the same thread.  I've seen the "blue" passages which saves having to type it all out.

Thank you
Ceeoh

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nick - not sure I have it quite correct yet as it highlighted the whole message, but will "practice" next time.  Thank you.

Ceeoh

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 June 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
Ceeoh
When you highlight the message and it highlights more than you want, just move your cursor along the lines until you get what you want, then copy and paste etc.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 June 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
Another way to quote part of another posters message on the same thread is to go to reply, look back up at the previous postings, press the quote button at the top of the post number you want and the whole post will be there in your reply box but you can backspace out the bits you dont want as long as you leave the quote in brackets at each end. Works well for short posts, wouldn't be so good if you only want a short sentence out of a lengthy posting. Just another option and the way I usually do it ...  :) mare

Offline Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nick - not sure I have it quite correct yet as it highlighted the whole message, but will "practice" next time.  Thank you.

Ceeoh

At the end of any piece you have quoted there is a set of square brackets with [ /quote ] in them .... just make sure that any message which you want to post comes after this and your text will not be highlighted only the copied quote.

The quoted section above is how you see the final product while below is what the computer sees.
Code: [Select]
[quote author=Ceeoh link=topic=536892.msg3908361#msg3908361 date=1307350135]

Ceeoh
[/quote]