Author Topic: Blaise Louis HENOCQ b.1788 Paris  (Read 15932 times)

Offline steve-paris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blaise Louis HENOCQ b.1788 Paris
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Blaise Louis was my great, great, great, grandfather through the line of his son Joseph. Blaise married Elizabeth Smith in June 1811 at Christ church in Southwark. He was born in Paris, and like many huguenots and the time may have left France due to religious persecution.
He was a tailor and they must have lived most of this time in London as his children Joseph, Louisa and Anne were were born in Marylebone and Westminster. Joseph became a cabinet maker and Louisa was a dressmaker. Anne became a licensee when she married Samuel finch Houghton.
Blaise returned to Paris and died 6th March 1822. I have an authentic copy of his death certificate produced in 1872.    An extract follows.

On march 26th 1822 at 1.30am the death of Blaise Louis HENOCQ, born in Paris, a Tailor, died aged 35 years on this dayat 1 o clock in the morning at Doyenne street No 3. Married to Elizabeth Smith. Noted by us Frederic Pierre baron Lecordier, mayor of the first borough of Paris. Officer of the legion of Honour, Knight of the order of St.Michael. On the declaration of the gentlemen Francois Gallet, valet of the chamber.

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve-paris - an interesting pseudonym!

My maiden name was Henocq and have been researching the tree since the 1980's so the internet has been a great boon. 

I always thought Blaise Louis might have been a huguenot who left France due to persecution, however looking at the date of the marriage it would probably have been due to Napoleon.  I have been hoping to find out why he returned to Paris where he died relatively young - another Rootschatter suggested he might have lived there with the family, who then return to England upon his death but this avenue has still to be researched. 

You mention you are a descendant of Blaise Louis/Joseph but not where your branch 'hangs on'.  My father was William Joseph youngest son of George Frederick Henocq & Harriet Lane.

Look forward to hearing from you
NANNY WITH ROSIE
Baker, Cousens/Couzins, Delo, Goldsack, Hayes, Matson, Munday, Shether/Sheather, in Kent
Askew/Henocq/Wigglesworth in London/Middx/Norfolk and Yorkshire
Lonsdales in Lancashire
Saunders in Lancashire/South Wales and Somerset

Offline steve-paris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 October 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,     I have been thinking about your question of why Blaise went back to France. As there was no refe
rence in his death certificate to why he died so young I assume he must have gone back for personnel reasons. Maybe other family members were Ill. The other thought was that as it was only a couple of years since the war with France ended, could it have been some sort of business opportunity.
When his children were born his family address was Dartmouth row in london, this is an area in blackheath. This was not far from Greenwich where his wife Elizabeth died some years later.
At that time a tailor was a good profession to have, and I read that wages were increasing due to strong union involvement.
My own line is Blaise/Joseph/Richard Henry/Vivien william/Victor Kenneth/

regards    steve-paris

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from you again Steve - thank you for the info of Dartmouth Row - this I didn't know.

Tailoring would appear to be in the genes as two aunts were needlewomen one tailoring and one high class dressmaking.  My mother was also a tailoress and I remember visiting the workshops in Soho - the conditions were usually cramped, steamy and the air full of wool fibres, marking chalk, etc etc - maybe he fell victim to his work conditions !!

Have you been able to trace all males from Blaise down to not only yours and mine branches??

NANNY WITH ROSIE
Baker, Cousens/Couzins, Delo, Goldsack, Hayes, Matson, Munday, Shether/Sheather, in Kent
Lonsdales in Lancashire

Offline moulesfrites

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve,
> I have an authentic copy of his death certificate produced in 1872.
I'm Blaise Louis Henocq's great x 4 grandson and I'd be very interesting in having a digital copy of this. Any chance you could oblige, please?

Thanks,
Bryan

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 October 12 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan - I am also very interested in Blaise Louis Henocq and would appreciate sight of the authentic birth certificate if at all possible.  I have been researching this side of my tree for many many years but sadly cannot get back any further than Blaise.   

Have you been able to find out why he came to England, married there and then returned by the time of his death.  His widow died in Greenwich and is interred there?

Regards
NANNY WITH ROSIE
Lonsdales in Lancashire

Offline moulesfrites

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 October 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
As Steve hasn't posted here recently I've written to him asking for an electronic copy of the birth certificate. I've managed to get one generation further back than Blaise to his parents, Antoine and Constance. I have an electronic copy of his father's death certificate which someone posted on Ancestry.

I have no idea why he came to England, but given that the Revolution occurred in 1789 I think there may have been very good reasons! Many Huguenots left France after revocation of the Edict of Nantes which caused an exodus of Protestants. Many of them came to London and he may have had relations already there, or at the very least might have had a community that he could have become part of. I don't know how much of a community there would have been, though, as the Revocation was in 1685. This was about 100 years before he was born, so any refugees would have had quite some time to become assimilated. My granny, a Henocq, was born in 1897, less than 100 years after Blaise came, and she certainly wasn't part of any French community.

All in all he is quite a sketchy character.

* He was born about 1778 or 1788 (depending on who you believe) in Paris.

* He married Elizabeth Smith on June 16 1811 at Christ Church in Southwark. I have electronic copies of the Banns and the marriage certificate. He was a tailor.

* He had three children with Elizabeth. I don't have their birth certificates.

* All three were baptised at St Margarets, Westminster on the same day, October 26 1819. I do have an electronic copy of the baptismal record which I got from the Westminster Archives a couple of weeks ago.

* On the baptismal record the dates of birth of the three children are given:
Louisa: May 31 1810
Joseph: April 25 1812
Anne: March 22 1814
His occupation was 'Tayler' and he was living in Dartmouth Row.

* On March 20 1820 his father Antoine died in Paris. I have a copy of the death certificate. He was a wine merchant and was 82. Note that this does not correspond with the date of birth everyone has for him which is 'about 1751', which would have made him 69 years old.

* Two years later Blaise Antoine died on March 26 1822 at 3 Rue du Doyenné, Paris.

And that is as much as I can find about him. A couple of things are notable from what little we have.

* Louisa, the first child, was born in 1810 but Blaise and Elizabeth didn't marry until 1811. I would guess that might have caused a bit of an upset!

* All three children were baptised as a job lot and five months later his father died in Paris. Could it be that his father was ill and the baptism was part of Blaise's getting his affairs in order before going back to deal with family business? I have no idea, but it's certainly possible, don't you think?

I seem to have managed to trace most of his descendants in the UK, at least those that are Henocqs. I haven't taken much interest so far in the branches formed when the various daughters married. As I now live in France I'll have a go at seeing what more I can find out about his family here. However it's much more difficult than it was in the UK. Many records were destroyed, and although some have been rebuilt from other sources they aren't very accessible. I do live in France (although I'm Irish) but I'm about as far from Paris as it's possible to be whilst remaining in mainland France so it won't be as easy as you might expect or hope!

By the way, Blaise Louis was my great x 4 grandfather and my grandmother was Gladys Amelia Henocq, 1897-1964.

Bryan

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Morning moulesfrites

How lovely to open my emails to find out that with your endeavours you have progressed the Henocq Tree another generation back.

When I first started researching in the early 1980's the local Church of Latterday Saints allowed access to the records they had amassed on microfische and I found Henocqs listed at The French Huguenot Church in Threadneedle Street London - sadly it is no longer there but it gave me the idea of the Huguenot link.  Since then I wondered whether Blaise travelled to England as a tailor to a wealthy person trying to escape the Revolution!!  It is interesting that Blaise married (presumably) a CofE and had their children baptised in the CofE church of St Margaret's Westminster (close to the Houses of Parliament). 

Please keep me in the loop if you find out anything more, and I am more than happy to fill you in 'if' you have any empty branches on the tree.

Regards
NANNY WITH ROSIE
Lonsdales in Lancashire

Offline moulesfrites

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Morning Nanny,
Well I think I've gone a generation back! The problem always is getting more than one source so you can gauge how dependable the information is. So what I've got is evidence from various family trees on Ancestry that Blaise's father was Antoine and he married Louise Constance Belot; I also have the death certificate for Antoine Henocq, married to Louise Constance Belot. What I don't have is a record that actually links Antoine with Blaise Louis.

I'll keep you posted with anything else I find out. There are a couple of things I'd like to fill in, please.

It's interesting to note that Elizabeth Henocq is said to have died at 17 Trafalgar Grove, but once again I can find no proof of that. It's mentioned in several trees on Ancestry but not one of them links to any supporting evidence. Have you got that?

The other is Bertram Hugh Griffiths Henocq born 1881. There are two census records of him living in New Windsor with his parents Richard Henry Henocq and Amelia, when they were licensees of the Merry Wives of Windsor, but after that there is nothing to be found.

Thanks,
Bryan