Author Topic: EDGECOMBE surname DNA project  (Read 6078 times)

Offline on the edge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EDGECOMBE surname DNA project
« on: Tuesday 07 June 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
An Edgecombe / Edgcombe / Edgcumbe and variants DNA study has recently been started.
We now have a number of members and are looking for others to join us to find out more. If you are an Edgecombe and would like to get involved please contact me. Alternatively visit the project website for more information. http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Edgcomb/default.aspx

The aims of this project are to confirm a genetic relationship between Edgcombes and to verify the paper documentation.

The principle goal is to try to enable people, who at present cannot trace their ancestry back very far, to find a close match and make a connection. This can be achieved by having family
members tested from a number of different branches thus providing certain patterns of results peculiar to each branch.

Through this method we now have enough data to have ascertained an 'Edgcombe haplotype' which allows us to confirm the main family branch and some of its offshoots.
In addition, we have established genetically, through testing descendants from several branches, back 17 generations to a common ancestor in John Edgcombe who was born c.1430 in Edgcumbe, Devon.

An extensive Edgcombe family tree with hundreds of family members has been produced as well as two simplified versions (downloads below) showing the DNA participants and how they connect. The trees are available in PDF format and can be emailed to you at no cost, however the large tree is too big (1.5MB) to be made available on this site, so please contact me for copies.

Regards,
Eddy Edgecombe

Edgcombe DNA study including variants Edgecombe, Edgcumbe, Edgecumbe, Edgecomb, Edgcomb etc.

Offline MichaelEdgecombe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: EDGECOMBE surname DNA project
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 18 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Eddy
I'm not sure if you are still actively involved in this project, but if you are perhaps you could let me know how I can get involved? I've recently had a '23 and me' DNA test, which has shown that my paternal haplotype matches the Edgcombe haplotype.
Best wishes
Michael Edgecombe Peplar

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Michael  :).

on the edge was last online on rootschat on Saturday 11 October 14 but hopefully will get an email telling them of a reply to their thread so can respond on this forum. Once you have made 2 more posts (just reply twice to this thread), you can send a personal message (pm) by clicking the text icon under the name of 'on the edge' and then 'Send PM'.

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 11:20 GMT (UK) »
There is also the Surname Interest board - scroll to the bottom of the page and it is there in the brown section. You can register an interest in the various spellings of the name & see if there is anyone else with research interests in the same areas.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON