Author Topic: What'sisname?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
What'sisname?
« on: Tuesday 07 June 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
After merrily transcribing a vicar's handwriting for years, he has either died (I shall know that when I get to 'Burials') or been taken ill, and someone else is doing the PR. His writing is not bad but in the bit I am doing some of the entries are rather faint.
     Please, can someone read this surname? The first letter is 'P'. I will post two images; the second has the colours inverted to see if that helps. Thanks.
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What'sisname?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
Tricky

looking at the 't' in Knighton above, and the 'e' in Sawyer (? or maybe not Sawyer!) above that, I would have gone for maybe Dentt .... but that doesnt begin with P.
And to be honest is little more than a guess!

(Hope regular vicar recovers soon before younger siblings are christened ... maybe they might be clearer and you can come back to this one then!)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
If you're sure the first letter is a P, could it be Peall or Pealt?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 16:39 BST (UK) »

Yes, it is Sawyer, I've had that name before, luckily. Thanks both for your input. Peall is a real possiblity, but I'm sure I shall have to keep that one 'on hold' and hope they had more children. If the worst comes to the worst, the WinReg program does cater for indecipherable letters and dates, thank goodness!

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 02:30 BST (UK) »
If we're looking at the word under Knighton, I think it starts with Do and I'd go for Donel or something like that.  Don't see it starting with Pe at all.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 13:48 BST (UK) »

I wasn't sure at first if it was P or D, but then I had another name beginning with P that I recognised, and without checking, I think his  Ds were more rounded.

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
Not many letters to go on but I think the last 2 are l's not t's when comparing to the word Knighton.
I think the full stop after knighton confuses the brain into thinking there must be an i before the last 2 letters, but I'm pretty sure it's an n, just that the top part is faint.
Before that it's definitely and old style e (looks like a backwards e).
The first could be a P or D, but if his D's were more rounded and this is consistent with other P's then go for P.
so... Penll

Hmm looking harder the first of the last 2 letters could be a t so tl at the end - Pentl.
I'm not sure that the word really ends there - there's some marks just after it are they faint letters or are they just artifacts of the fiche?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks to you all for your help. I had a flash of inspiration recently and realised the name is Pentlow (without an 'e' in the middle).
    Fortunately I now have a lovely vicar with beautiful clear even handwriting, and he even tells you when he baptised twins!