Author Topic: Finding London Marriages /De Rheims  (Read 6742 times)

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding London Marriages /De Rheims
« on: Tuesday 07 June 11 21:14 BST (UK) »
How on earth can a person find?? London Marriages that are on the UK Marriage Index but probably due to bad mistranscribing ie:  ancestry doesnt have? Well... any tips much appreciated..... I accidently found one surname that had an E transcribed as an L as part of a surname....but am looking for De Rheims.
Thank you..... thank you

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding London Marriages /De Rheims
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
Have you tried FreeBMD?  http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Seven de Rheims marriages listed 1860-1909, two of which were in Hampshire, the others in the London area.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks little Nell....I am trying to find the McCormick/De Rheims and the Dudley St Leger De Rheims and am unable to locate those 2 particular ones on the actual scanned London Marriage site. I usually look at all the Marriages of a certain surname too. I'd hate to leave it to chance. Some of the surnames just seem to "disappear" when cross referencing them on the censuses. 

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
Perhaps those marriages did not take place in a church covered by the records at LMA and available via Ancestry.  It might have been a register office marriage, or another denomination.

Having checked some newspapers, I found this:

At St Peter's RC Church  Woolwich, by special license, Henri de Rheims Esq, FCS, only son of the late F H de Rheims, Consul to the King of Prussia at Calsis ?  married Mary Elizabeth Josephine, eldest surviving daughter of Michael M'Cormick Esq of Her Majesty's Dockyard, 10th July 1860.

As I said - another denomination altogether and not likely to have been digitised.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Little Nell..... for going the extra mile and looking in the newspaper as the situation does sound similar....I didnt realize that for example Special Licenses and other denominations  hadnt been  digitized. Bless your heart anyways.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 June 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
Full details of what is and isn't in the LMA/Ancestry dataset  can be found here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,430983.0.html

As Nell mentions, you won't find register office marriages (they are still at the register office), marriages that took place in synagogues or Friends Meeting Houses, the majority of Roman Catholic marriage registers are still at the churches and other non-Anglican demoninations. Westmister parishes are not included either.

What is online has been deposited for safe-keeping at the London Metropolitan Archives.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 June 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dawnsh for a clear explanation.

Offline Patrick_pontet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pontet & associated families of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 November 11 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Mona, I am researching the same family of de Rheims, and received yesterday the actual marriage certificate of Henri de Rheims and Mary Elizabeth McCormick - details match those given on earlier response. This certificate is of the marriage which took place in St Peter's RC church, Woolwich, and obtained from the GRO (scan attached). I also have the reconstituted record of the death of his father, Francois Henri de Rheims who died 13 July 1851, former consul, married (strange, unless he married again, as his wife died in Calais 1854), resident Rue de Grenelle 114, Paris 7e. That too I can send as a jpeg. In case you are not aware of it, in the Probate schedules (I access via Ancestry) that for Henry de Rheims dated 22 Nov 1870 Principal Registry London granted to his son and onlu next of kin John Francis Henry (originally Jean Francois Henri) de Rheims of 2 Bedford Terrace, Plumstead. I have today ordered the actual Will - probably arrive before Christmas.

This family is potentially linked my Pontet family through marriage 16/05/1789 St Eustache, Paris 1e, of Charlotte Augustine Derheims (born Calais 26/03/1771; died Paris 27/10/1805; d/o Pierre Derheims and Margueritte Charlotte Gaudoin), with Jean Baptiste Marie Pontet (1861-1849+). Hence my interest. I think, however, you might be able to help me too. Patrick

Email address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse

Offline Patrick_pontet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pontet & associated families of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 November 11 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Little Nell, I read with great interest the extract you got from a newspaper regarding the de Rheims - McCormich marriage of 10 July 1860. May I enquire as to whether you still have access to that newspaper and if so whether you would be willing to send me a jpeg scan of it? The information is only marginally different to the actual marriage certificate, but sometimes it is the little things that make a difference. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
Patrick