Author Topic: Prospere Le Fevre  (Read 7284 times)

Offline whiskeymike

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Prospere Le Fevre
« on: Wednesday 08 June 11 09:30 BST (UK) »
Any info on Prospere Le Fevre and his family, place of birth etc.and his sister Eugenie Marie who married John  Loftiss/Loftus

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Prospere Le Fevre
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Can you give people something else to go on?     What time period are you talking about?     There are two Prospere Le Fevres in the census:

1881 born c. 1831 married to Ange le Fevre living in St. Lawrence, Jersey.

1901 born c. 1835 married to Susannah Le Fevre French Subject living in Southampton.
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 11 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I wonder does the following fit in with your family at all?  It seems with the mention of a Prosper Le Feuvre and his daughter Mary marrying a John Loftus must be more than a coincidence?

I did some 'googling' and found that there is reference to a Eugenie Marie Henrietta Le Feuvre being the wife of John Loftus.  These could well be the same people with their names slightly 'altered' between France and the Channel Islands.

1851 Census Gresley Cottage, Trinity Jersey
Prosper A Le Feuvre (49) B 1802 Ag Labourer B France
Jane Le Feuvre (50) B 1801 Wife France
Mary Le Feuvre (14) B 1837 Daughter B France

By 1861 Mary is Mrs John Loftus living in St Helier Jersey  (Loftis is spelled Lofties on the 1861 Census)

1861 Census at 11 Dorey Cottages, New Road, St Helier Jersey
John Loftus (23) B 1838 Brickmaker B St Helier Jersey
Mary Loftus (24) B 1837 Wife B Trinity Jersey (This Census states Jersey birth, others France)
Mary J Loftus (2) B 1859 Daughter B St Saviour Jersey
Alice M Loftus (1mth) B 1861 Daughter B St Helier Jersey

1871 Census at Ronde Porte Cottage, St Saviour, Jesey
John Loftus (33) B 1838 Brickmaker B St Helier Jersey
Mary Loftus (35) B 1836 Wife B France
Mary J Loftus (12) B 1859 Daughter B St Saviour Jersey
Alice M Loftus (10) B 1861 Daughter B St Helier Jersey
Susanna Loftus (8) B 1863 Daughter B St Saviour Jersey
John Loftus (4) B 1867 Son B St Saviour Jersey

At the time of the 1851 Census, John Loftus is a Lodger in Jersey at 5 Simon Place, St Helier residing in the home of Isaac Cradick from England, he is described as 'Nephew'.

Loftus is transcribed as Loftes on the 1851 Census

John's occupation is stated as Brickmaker and his place of birth as England. All later Censuses state that he is born St Helier Jersey, but having lived in St Helier a long time, this could explain why it was cited as his place of birth.

From my google search it appears that John and Mary Loftus and their children immigrated in 1873 to Rockhampton Queensland Australia.

In 1881, there is a Prosper A A Le Feuvre in St Helier Jersey, this could well be the brother of Mary (Eugenie?)

1881 Census at 4 Eden Place, St Helier Jersey (transcribed as Le Feuver)
Prosper A A Le Feuvre (46) B 1835 Vinegar Distiller B France
Susanna Le Feuvre (44) B 1837 Wife B England
Francis J Le Feuvre (14) B 1867 Son Errand Boy B St Saviour Jersey
Elizabeth J Le Feuvre (13) B 1868 Daughter B St Saviour Jersey
Charles C Le Feuvre (12) B 1869 Son B St Saviour Jersey
John E Le Feuvre (7) B 1874 Son B St Helier Jersey

Youngest Son John Le Feuvre was baptised in St Helier Jersey on 15/3/1874 as John Ernest Le Fevre, son of Prosper Aimable Alexandre Le Fevre and his wife Susanna Le Fevre (nee Pitman).  Godparents were Prosper A A Le Fevre and John Moyse

*The surname was clearly spelt Le Fevre on this baptismal record which can be found on the website http://www.guernsey.society.org.uk/donkipedia

At the time of the 1851 Census, Prosper Le Fevre was a Servant for a John Pallot in Trinity Jersey.  His name was given as Aimable Le Feuvre Born 1835 France, occupation Farm Servant, but I am fairly sure this is the same chap.

1861 Census and Prosper was still going by his middle name of Aimable.  He was living in Grouville Jersey as a boarder with the Du Heaume family.  His name on the Census is given as Aimable Le Pore, but when I looked at the original transcription it is in fact Aimable Le Fevre.  An Ag Servant, single aged 26 and born "Department of La Manche France"

1871 Census and Prosper is still going by his middle name of Aimable.  He was living in St Martin Jersey.  His surname is given as Le Feuvre this time.  He is living alone, stated as being married and an Ag Labourer born in France.

His wife Susanna Le Feuvre was residing in St Saviour Jersey with John Phillips and his family.  She had with her their children Francis J, Elizabeth J, Charles C and Ernest W, the latter who was born 1871.

Ernest is not mentioned on the 1881 Census, so I'm assuming he died between 1871 and 1881

1891 Census at 2 Ann Street, St Helier, Jersey
Prosper A Le Fevre (56) B 1835 Vinegar Manufacturer B Besnemble (?) France
Susanna Le Fevre (54) B 1837 Wife B Christchurch Hampshire
Charles C Le Fevre (21) B 1870 Son, Blacksmiths Fitter B St Saviour Jersey
John E Le Fevre (17) B 1874 Son, Blacksmith's Apprentice B St Helier Jersey
Elizabeth J Le Fevre (23) B 1868, Daughter, Single, Laundress B St Saviour Jersey

On the 1901 Census Prosper and Susanna are living in Southampton Hampshire, the name on the Census is showing as "Le Ferre", but I am sure is Le Fevre on the original transcription.  Living with them are son John, daughter in law Isobel and Granddaughter Mabel.

Hope it is of help to you.

Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 11 03:49 GMT (UK) »
I have some more information for you.

John Ernest Le Fevre Died Q3 1901 Southampton, Hampshire aged 27 years

Son Ernest John Le Fevre Born post-humously Q1 1902 Southampton, Hampshire

John's Widow Isabel Janet Le Fevre re-married Q4 1905 Southampton Hampshire to Mark Westmore

Susannah Le Fevre Died Q2 1904 Southampton, Hampshire aged 67 years
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

May be Prosper Aimable Alexandre LE FEVRE, born in 1835 (03/NOV/1835) in Besneville (Manche).

Son of Prosper Aimable LE FEVRE, 34 years old, farmer, and Jeanne Aimée Bonaventure DELA LANDE, 35 years old.
The father is a native of Créances and the mother was from Saint-Nicolas-de-Pierre-Pont

Marriage in 1826 in Saint-Nicolas (20/APR/1826)

Prospert Aimable LEFEVRE, 24 years old, son of the late ... LEFEVRE and Françoise Margueritte REGNAULT.

Jeanne Aimée Bonaventure DELALANDE, 27 years old, daughter of Jean DELALANDE and Anne Jacqueline LE GUERRIER.

Jeanne Aimée Bonaventure DELALANDE died in Besneville in 1876 (18/AUG/1876).

http://gw.geneanet.org/cmesrine?n=delalande&oc=1&p=jean+baptiste
http://gw.geneanet.org/jcriquet?n=delalande&oc=&p=jean+baptiste
http://gw.geneanet.org/pplevet?n=delalande&oc=&p=jean+baptiste
http://gw.geneanet.org/recaucho?n=delalande&oc=&p=jean+baptiste

Prosper Aimable LEFEVRE died in the same village in 1862

Father Pierre LEFEVRE Mother Françoise Margueritte REGNAULT

http://gw.geneanet.org/lemon50?n=lefevre&oc=&p=pierre+simeon
http://gw.geneanet.org/jcriquet?n=lefebvre&oc=&p=pierre+simeon

Offline pandahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hello whiskeymike

I am a direct descendent of Prosper Le Feuvre through his daughter Eugenie Marie Henrietta Le Feuvre who married John Loftus. 

Their daughter Alice Mary Jane Loftiss married James Hill in 1878 in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia

Let me know if you need information down this line

Andrew Hill
Australia

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
and do you know if he was born in Besneville in 1834?

Offline pandahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi davidqueneherve

Sorry I don't have any original information, I am very much a novice at family history

Your previous post certainly looks like Eugenie Marie Henrietta Le Feuvre (b1837) and Prosper Aimable Alexandre LE FEVRE (b1835) are siblings.

I wonder where Prosper A A LE FEVRE was in the 1851 census?

I suppose as a 16 year old he may have been living independently or in the service of his employer.

Your previous post provided much information about Prosper and Jeanne that I did not have before. 
Thank you

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
Prosper Aimable Alexandre LE FEVRE had indeed a sister named Eugénie Marie Henriette LE FEVRE born on July 15th, 1836 in Besneville (Manche).