Author Topic: Relation to the Dukes of Bedford?  (Read 12321 times)

Offline akoenen2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Relation to the Dukes of Bedford?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 June 11 18:26 BST (UK) »
Would you know if there are any other types of payment that the General Register Office takes rather than a credit card? I don't own one.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 June 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Would you know if there are any other types of payment that the General Register Office takes rather than a credit card? I don't own one.

That is the beauty of that website they take credit card payments from anywhere in the world. Do you have a relative whose card you could use?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 June 11 22:42 BST (UK) »

Do you have a Visa debit card, ie. one that takes money directly from a bank account since they do take those too?

Sadly the story sounds a bit like one an ex-work colleague told me about a few year's back when she said her ancestor was supposed to be the child of a gardener and the daughter of a big house (a bit like a la Lady Chatterly's lover) who had been placed with a labourer's family in the village.  When I took a look at the baptisms for her the child was a middle one for a couple who had quite a few over a long period of time!  How it got so twisted over time is anybody's guess but I think the ancestor had married someone of a higher social standing and this probably was her way to justify her lowly beginnings ;)

(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline akoenen2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 June 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
I'm only 15... so I don't own a debit card either... Or any piece of plastic that can be charged money  :-\

I'm guessing they won't take PayPal, Check or Cash... But I sent an email off to them asking anyway.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 June 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
How on earth do you get money out of your bank account without a debit card though? Hope they can help,but I fear from their website that they may not be able to.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Carol

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 June 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
I'm only 15... so I don't own a debit card either... Or any piece of plastic that can be charged money  :-\

I'm guessing they won't take PayPal, Check or Cash... But I sent an email off to them asking anyway.

Could you not get a relative with some form of card to pay and give them the money?
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 June 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Do you have a relative whose card you could use?

Carol

That's what I said earlier Smudwhisk  ;D

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 June 11 23:39 BST (UK) »
Must be getting late, missed your comment ;D

Never hurts re-raising a good point in case it got missed  ....

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 June 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
Akeonen2  Start and use the powers of lateral thinking here.

Any occasions coming up when you are due presents?

Birthday, good exam results?

If anyone asks you what you would like say BMD certificates.

If they would give you cash could you perhaps then ask your Mom or someone to order them using their card and you would give them the cash.

If you do decide to order online ask on here and someone will talk you through the process, it can be slightly confusing the first time you order.

Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk