Author Topic: Cornelius BOWMAN - bapt at Eakring?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cornelius BOWMAN - bapt at Eakring?
« on: Wednesday 08 June 11 19:42 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for a baptism of Cornelius BOWMAN. I've also seen the surname as BOMAN/BOMAR. Cornelius married at Fledborough, Notts by licence in 1739, at which time he was apparently aged 24. I would therefore expect he was born about 1714 give or take a few years. Also, the marriage licence notes that he was "of Eakring" - whether he was born there or not I have no idea. But it seems a good place to start the search.

Any help finding him is much appreciated.

Thanks
Alexander

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cornelius BOWMAN - bapt at Eakring?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander

Eaking bapts are covered on the Notts FHS CD 1661 - 1901, but nothing for him.  This is the nearest I could find

Cornelius BOWRIN 9.2. 1718 to Cornelius & Elizabeth at Radcliffe on Trent, Husbandman

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 June 11 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Carol. I have just done a quick search for a marriage for that Cornelius Bowrin, and nothing comes up. However Radcliffe is a bit further away than I was expecting...but then again Eakring and Fledborough are not exactly close. And the age is a bit out, but if born in 1718 then that would make him a year younger than his wife, so it would be understandable if he added a few years on at marriage. Anyway, it's certainly one to consider.

You'd think with a name like Cornelius he'd be really easy to track down! ::)

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism at Wellow for a Cornelius Bowman but much too late to be yours 9 Feb 1778 with parents George and Mary- a grandson perhaps?
Phillimore's  have Cornelius and Mary's marriage as 10 Feb 1738.

There are several Bowman marriages at Eakring, parents maybe?
Iam sure you are aware of the actions of the Reverend Sweetapple who managed to marry 490 couples between 1730 and 1754 ,at Fledborough. It seems to have been Nottinghamshires Gretna Green ! Maybe he was trying to hide something....(Cornelius not the Reverend-I think he was perhaps in it for the cash!!)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 11 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you larkspur,

You're right, that Cornelius Bowman was a grandson of this Cornelius. Unfortunately he died shortly after birth, but George had another son Cornelius in 1787.

The marriage of Cornelius & Mary was in 1739 in new style dating as the new year started on 25 Mar, but the original register would say 1738.

Interesting what you mention about Fledborough - I had heard something like that before but I didn't know it was during the time that Cornelius & Mary were married there. There must be some reason why they were married there - but I don't know what it was. I can't think of any objections on Mary's side, so perhaps it's something to do with Cornelius.

Regards,
Alexander

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 June 11 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander

You can eliminate the Cornelius baptised in Radcliffe in 1718.  He married Mary Lomax 16 Sept 1752 at St Peters, Notts.   The entry states he was from Radcliffe on Trent.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 June 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
That's helpful, thank you Carol.

Alexander

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 July 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander,

I know some of the early Eakring registers have been transcribed and are on the church website but I haven't time to go through them for you now.

http://www.st-andrews-eakring.org.uk/   Click on 'The Archives'.

Hope you are lucky.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 July 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Thanks for the link, I had seen it before but not checked it in a while. I can see a couple BOMAN entries, (sadly no Cornelius), but there may yet be a link to Eakring.

Alexander