Author Topic: Meally, Dominic & Catherine  (Read 3154 times)

Offline annette50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meally, Dominic & Catherine
« on: Friday 10 June 11 15:07 BST (UK) »
My ancestors came to Melbourne, Australia as free settlers in 1842, on the ship Samuel Boddington, that left Cork in 1841. I have researched their family in Australia to me their great great granddaughter extensively. Little is known about them however in Ireland except from incomplete death certificates that say that both fathers were John and mother of Dominic was a Nolan.

I think that they may have been cousins before marrying, if they ever did? Folklore was that cousin married cousin -O'Malley married O'Malley...they assumed the O'Malley name at some stage in Australia but the shipping records and earlier birth records of their children said Meally. The fact that his name was the uncommon Dominic may be the link in Ireland although John is very common. I have read about lots of Johns in the Irish tithes records.  My suspicion is that John, the father of one of them may be a John Meally convict transported in 1832 who was tried at the Mayo Summer Assizes. How do I get those records/transcripts of his trial? This may lead to information about his family- wife and children's names.

Naming patterns of their children are similar to other convicts transported in 1840s. Any clues or help would be appreciated.

Annette