Author Topic: HOLLINGSWORTH Family - butchers in Hertfordshire?  (Read 16921 times)

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
Re: HOLLINGSWORTH Family - butchers in Hertfordshire?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 October 13 00:13 BST (UK) »
It could well be that we have two Thomas's born around the same time - my Thomas seems to be a relatively wealthy Corn Factor.  He is recorded as a benefactor for some 'bare knuckle boxers'.  He is also recorded as a 'gentleman' and an 'Officer of the customs'.
Any assistance with this family is appreciated.  I would like to prove if they are associated with the Hertfordshire Hollingsworths....or not.
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 November 13 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Have you thought of a general Hollingsworth search in the 1851 census for Hertfordshire! There won't be many Hollingsworths but it could give you some ideas. I know there were Hs in Hitchin and Royston.

Don't think Winder is a Hertfordshire family. Out of interest had a quick look in the 1881. Only 3 Winders in the whole of Herts.

good hunting

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 November 13 08:10 GMT (UK) »

HALS has a nice handful of entries in their "online names" facility

https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?ebz=3_1384157226911&ebd=0

As there are some "Hollingworth" names there, then I would suggest being creative with the search name.
No need to put a year range in, there aren't THAT many (250-300?)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 November 13 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. The Winders came from Berkshire rather than Hertfordshire. When Jemima Hollingsworth married, the surname obviously changed, and so my connection with the Hollingsworth ends in the late 1700s. After that the family moved to Buckinghamshire. It would be interesting to search for links back in Herts, but they wouldn't be in my direct line at all. Something for the future, when I've sorted out my own direct family line (famous last words)!! Thanks for the suggestion. Alan
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline carrietsm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 October 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, I also have a Thomas Hollingsworth (5x great grandfather) born in 1748 Benington, Hertfordshire.  It would appear that his parents were John Hollingsworth (a butcher!) and he was married to Sarah Coulson.
 My Thomas Hollingsworth however appears to have died in St Andrews workhouse aged 76 in Hertford and his wife Martha, who I can find no marriage to whatsoever, was also buried in the same graveyard in Hertford.  Middle names of their children, Morley & Pedley, throw up no help whatsover but assume they are family names as used several times !!

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 21:11 GMT (UK) »

Catching up with the Hollingsworths!

I now have the Thomas Hollingsworth born in 1748 with this detail:

Marriage

13 Feb 1772 • Ware, Hertfordshire, England

Martha Morley

So, if that is correct then Martha's maiden name was MORLEY.

Have you got the names of their children?  I have this Thomas as my 1st cousin 8x removed (and the surname Coulson is used as the middle name for another Hollingsworth butcher in London: Ralph Coulson Hollingsworth!
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)