Author Topic: HOLLINGSWORTH Family - butchers in Hertfordshire?  (Read 16920 times)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOLLINGSWORTH Family - butchers in Hertfordshire?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have an additional son for Thomas Hollingsworth and Elizabeth (Winder): Samuel, christened on 5 Oct 1766 at St Botolph Bishopsgate in the City of London (Significantly the same church where the parents had married the previous year). I don't know what happened to Samuel as there are several men of that name in London in later years, and I'm not sure which one he is.

Can you give me any dates for the other person you asked about? I don't have too much on the Hollingsworths after the Samuel, Jemima, William generation, as my line is via Jemima and so the surname then changes (obviously). I'll have a look though.

As I say if you give me any dates for Henry Hollingsworth that will help me know which line to look at. I certainly don't have a Frances Baxter in my tree, so a date for that marriage will help too.

Alan
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 21:30 BST (UK) »
I also have Thomas Hollingsworth on my tree, but I am checking for details to confirm him.
Thomas, when he married Elizabeth Winder, was a widow.  I think his first wife may have been Elizabeth Jackson. Marriage contract 16th May 1780.  If this is the correct Thomas, then he and Elizabeth had a son Abraham about 1882.  Abraham married firstly Hannah Rutherford, then Mary Sands.  The son born to Rutherford , Henry William b 1817, St Botolphs, was my  G G Grandfather via William Aaron H b 1858.
However, on Abrahams wedding to Mary Sands, Thomas is referred to as an 'Officer of the Customs' - so I am looking for any mare evidence of his occupation.
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
April? 1879 was the date for marriage between Francis Baxter and Henry William Hollingsworth jnr born 1847 in Rotherhithe. His previous wife is recorded as being Ellen (Hollingsworth?).
Henry William Hollingsworth was the brother of William Aaron Hollingsworth - my G grandfather.
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 October 13 07:52 BST (UK) »

As far as I can see, Thomas Hollingsworth and Elizabeth (nee Winder) had three children: Samuel, mentioned above born in 1766 and twins, Jemima and William Thomas christened on 8 Oct 1767 in St Giles Cripplegate, London. I am descended from Jemima, so my direct Hollingsworth link ends with her - as she became a Hewett on her marriage in 1791. She seems to have died in London in 1803. Her brother, William Thomas, moved to Birmingham where he died on 22 Oct 1838 in Queen Street.

As I mentioned above, there is a christening for Samuel but I'm not clear what became of him. I am therefore rather confused about other Hollingsworths who could have been descended from these twins, and therefore back from Thomas and Elizabeth. William Thomas (and therefore the male line) moved off to the midlands with his family, where it appears that all Hollingsworths in this family during the next generation were born. His sons had been born in London, but married in the midlands so it seems unlikely that their children would then have gone back to London.

I'm intrigued by the perceived Hollingsworth links in London during the 1800s, therefore, and would be very interested to know how they have been traced back to Thomas (the butcher and innkeeper from Moorgate, originally from Hertfordshire)and his second wife, Elizabeth - who died only months after giving birth to these twins. They were married for less than 2 1/2 years so I must have missed something somewhere! I would really like to get this right, for my own interest as much as for any other reason.

Alan
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 October 13 07:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry, that marriage between Thomas and Elizabeth Jackson was 1780 so not the first wife.  I am still trying to confirm that this is the correct Thomas Hollingsworth.

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 October 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Hollingsworth died on 15 Feb 1768 and as far as I can see, Thomas then married Rosamund Smith: "'Thomas Hollingsworth of this parish widower and Rosamund Smith of St Stephen Coleman Street, spinster, were married in this church by license this 3rd day of May 1768" St Giles Cripplegate. (His first wife had been Margaret Smith, so possibly these two ladies were related?) Jemima, my 6x great-grandmother, was significantly also married in St Stephen's Coleman Street.

That seems very soon afterwards, but I guess the haste may be partly attributed to Thomas needing a step mother asap for his young twins, who had only been born (or at least christened) the previous November.  Rosamund Hollingsworth's will refers to her husband, Thomas 'of Moorgate', by then being buried at Bunhill Fields just outside the old city, and also to John Hewett - the son of Jemima. This all seems to fit together, as far as I can see.

I'm certainly not claiming to be totally 'right' and do please double check things. I've uncovered more details since putting the original post on here and Rosamund's will especially appears to confirm this web of relationships and sequence of events.

(Incidentally, it appears to be from the Hollingsworths who moved off to Birmingham, and kept the family tradition of being butchers, that Howard Hollingsworth eventually emerged. He was the joint founder of Bourne and Hollingsworth's department store in Oxford Street; and his sister, Clara, married Walter Bourne....... but that, as they say, is another story!)

Offline Dolphindoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 October 13 16:59 BST (UK) »
My Hollingsworth line down from Thomas (with Elizabeth Jackson) goes Abraham John (with Hannah Rutherford) then Henry William Sr.(with Eliza Godwyn) to Henry William Jr. who was born March 1847 and died 9 March 1901. He married Frances Ellen Baxter May 16, 1879.
Alanh- Confusion in regards to Rosamond, since Thomas outlived her and remarried again. Yet her will seems to imply he's dead.
Kezd-I believe the reference to Ellen is perhaps Frances' middle name as some records use it instead of her first name.
I have also been trying to find a date of death for Henry Wm Sr.  I came across the 1871 census which has Eliza his wife as a widow.
Also have a Matilda Hollingsworth age 5 in 1881 listed as a granddaughter but can't find which one of Eliza and Henry Wm. Sr's children she belongs to.
I'd appreciate any assistance in these areas

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 October 13 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thomas Hollingsworth was buried at Bunhill Fields (sometimes referred, as in his widow Rosamund's will, as Mr Tindall's Burying Fields) on 11 March 1795.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 October 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
For the pile of notes/discussion?

Marriage 1873 Mar St.Olave 1d 279
William Henry Hollingsworth / Elizabeth Sophia Lawson (widow of Esau m1861 d1871 ?, nee Smyth)
3, Albert Cott., New Road, Rotherhithe
Fathers HWH and Harvey Smyth

Death 1875 Dec St.Olave 1d 214
Elizabeth Hollingsworth (38y)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).