Author Topic: Allan Family  (Read 5243 times)

Offline allanfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Allan Family
« on: Saturday 11 June 11 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find my family tree but have very little information so I hope someone here can help me.

The furthest back I can trace my family is to George Allan.
B. unknown Ė believe it was in Forfarshire, Scotland.
D .1833 in India

Wife
Catherin nee Mulloy
Married:† 1825 india

His children are:

James Thomas Allan
B. 1831 India
D. 1912 Australia

Margaret Allan
B. 1827 India
D. Unknown

Elisabeth Allan
B. 1830 India
D. Unknown

I am a direct descendant on James Thomas Allan. From reliable records here in Australia, there is mention that my Allan family was from Forfarshire and was a sept of the McFarlane clan. (One of my goal is to verify the link to the McFarlane Clan). But other than that I have no other information.

George Allan, I believe may be a second son. He was in the Military in India, started as a corporal in 1817 and it was said that he died young. His orphaned children were sent to Duke of York military orphanage.

James Thomas Allan came over to Australia in 1852
Do no know what happened to the sisters.

Any help would be wonderful.

Regards

Katrina Allan

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Allan Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 June 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
hi Katrina

welcome to rootschat† :)

there is a george allan born dundee forfarshire(now angus) on the find my past website. i just looking at the index for the british army service record
1760 - 1913 so i don't know if this is your george allan
perhaps you have looked at this already ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 June 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Duke of Yorks is still very much in existence, have you been in contact with their archivist?
http://www.doyrms.com/

Offline allanfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 11 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Gali and Ev

Yep. I am exploring the Duke of York school. Unfortunately according to the website the School transferred a large body of records to the National Archives early in 2003 and they arenít digitised or at least I havenít been able to get the website to spit out the information. I have a few transcribed copies of the schoolís 1841 censes and admission details. But none of that has any further details of the father and mother, other than approximate time frame for the motherís death.

I am a member of Fibis and am working with the wonderful people their to uncover more information about George Allan in India. I have put in a request to see if someone could find his enlistment papers, but I am still waiting for that.

So I am kind of hoping (for a miracle) that maybe some else is doing the same or a connected tree, maybe as a descendant of one of George Allan daughters or even one of his siblings (which I am sure he had to have).

The reference that the family was from Forfarshire, Scotland, came of James Thomas Allan biography (Georgeís son) in the Second Vol of the History of Queensland. I am 95% sure that it is accurate. But they also didnít list their sources.

I have a lot of information from James Thomas Allan, downwards until myself, but nothing beyond George Allan.

Cheers

Katrina

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 June 11 07:02 BST (UK) »
Katrina, I have a buddy named Allan who insists they are off the clan Grant!    Skoosh.

Offline allanfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 June 11 07:39 BST (UK) »
One of my current goals is to prove or disporve that the is a link to the Macfarlane clan. It was also mentioned in the history of Queensland book and has always been part of the family folklore as way back as anyone can remember.

But I need proff :)

Cheers

Katrina

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 June 11 07:49 BST (UK) »
Might be a long shot but have you seen in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census there is an Elizabeth Allan, born in Cawnpore, India (a garrison town, now Kanpur) in 1825 living in the Royal Cambridge Asylum in Kingston on Thames?

The Asylum was founded 'To provide a home for widows of non-commissioned Officers and privates of the Army of not less than 50 years of age, and assistance to a few out-pensioners'.

From "Herbert Fry's Royal Guide to the London Charities" (1917).

Offline allanfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 June 11 08:29 BST (UK) »
Oh so close. But I donít think that its her.

Elizabeth was born in 1830 and was admitted to Duke of York in 1835 and discharge in 1843. She was apprenticed to Sam Sidley of Pimlico Westbourne street 27. I donít know what she did as an apprentice. Nor can I find her in the 1851 census. Think she may have married by them, but that is a guess. Both her parents George Allan and Catherin Mulloy were dead.

Strangely enough I canít find James Thomas Allan in the 1851 census either. He left Duke of York in 1846. He came over to Australia on the ship ĎBank of Englandí in 1852. But I donít know what he did in the years between. Some family legend says that he may have been the army. Havenít been able to confirm it yet.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 June 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
Re the possible affiliation of Allan to MacFarlane or Grant.

I've already said this to Katrina in another forum. Just because there were some folk with a particular surname who adhered to, or were under the protection of, or belonged to, a particular clan doesn't mean that everyone bearing that surname is a descendant of whatever the clan was.

Take, for instance, the surname Simpson. If you are a Simpson, and you look at one of the lists of 'what clan do you belong to' which the Brigadoon industry makes widely available, you will find that you are a member of Clan Fraser. Now, Simpson is a patronymic, meaning 'son of Simon'. Simon is a biblical name, and it occurs all over the Judaeo-Christian world. Over the last two millenia, there have been thousands, if not millions, of sons of Simon who never had any connection with Scotland, let alone with Clan Fraser. The reason why the lists link Simpson to Clan Fraser is that Simon was a popular and prevalent given name in that clan. If your surname is Simpson, all it tells you is that somewhen in the dim and distant past, befiore records began, you had a direct ancestor whose name was Simon, who could have been a Fraser, but is far more likely to have been English, or French, or Jewish.

Likewise, if your surname is Adamson, or one of its variants like Adam, Adams, Addison, Edison and so on, the lists will tell you that you are a member of Clan Gordon. This is based on the popularity of the given name Adam among members of Clan Gordon. In fact all your surname tells you is that you had a direct ancestor named after the equally biblical Adam. There must have been as many sons of Adam with no connection to Clan Gordon as there were sons of Simon with no connection to Clan Fraser.

Similarly, take the occupational surname Taylor. Clearly, this surname would have arisen independently anywhere in the English/French speaking world where there were tailors. It tells you that one of your direct ancestors was a tailor, nothing more and nothing less. However, because there were some Taylors affiliated to Clan Cameron, the Brigadoon industry would have you imagine that everyone bearing the surname Taylor is a descendant of Clan Cameron. A moment's thought will tell you that this has to be nonsense.

Katrina has some documentary evidence to suggest that her particular Allan ancestor was linked in some way to the MacFarlanes. That is a long way from meaning that all Allans were members of Clan MacFarlane, so there's no reason why some other family of Allans should not be equally linked to Clan Grant.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.