Author Topic: 1870s Photo  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
1870s Photo
« on: Saturday 11 June 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
I was sent this by the wife of a descendant of the couple on the right. I believe it shows four Moffat sisters and a brother, and I estimate it was taken in 1873, just before one of the couples - the Harrisons - left for Canada. I think it was possibly taken in the village of Coulderton, in Lowside Quarter. These are the names of those I suggest are pictured, L-R:

John BIRKETT and Margaret Moffat (m.1868)
John MOFFAT and Mary PICKERING (m.1869)
Thomas HAILE and Mary Ann Moffat (m.1861)
Peter HARRISON and Elizabeth Moffat (m.1865)
William HALE and Ruth Moffat (m.1870)

William  Hale was a cousin of my 3 x great grandfather, Joseph Noble (1825-60), who lived at Coulderton. Any help in identifying these people, or the location, would be most welcome.

Regards,

Stephen

Offline Moffat1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1870s Photo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi. Firstly, sorry for a reply 3 years after your post however I am a descendant of john Moffat (and Mary Pickering). I have just started to trace my family tree and discovered your post and photo. Could you possibly confirm whether you were able to positively identify the people in the photo or provide and further info on where it came from. I am particularly interested in the Moffat line above john. Many thanks.

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
Wow, a reply at last. The photo was emailed to me by a woman who married a descendant of William and Ruth. It was the family tradition that they are the couple pictured right. We tracked down descendants in of Peter and Elizabeth in Pennsylvania, and they supplied further photos. The man standing left looks exactly like Peter, who was born at Ellenborough in 1839. The woman fourth along looks similar to Elizabeth (if it is her), and I'd suggest she is another sister, while the second couple could be John & Mary Moffat.

I have these Moffats on my online tree.

Stephen

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
A larger version of the photo

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
Peter and Elizabeth Harrison in later life

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 September 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thought to be Elizabeth Moffat Harrison

Offline Moffat1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 September 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
That's amazing. Thank you very much for the info. John (b1843) was my 2nd great grandfather and I only know back another 2 generations - john (1813 from kirklinton) and another john (1794 from Cumberland?). I am attempting to trace my line as far as I can - would it be possible to view your online tree? You would be welcome to any info I have (though it is very limited at the moment I'm afraid)

I am still amazed that you actually replied after 3 years!

Thanks, Paul