Author Topic: Completed: Marriage records around 1840  (Read 4764 times)

Offline K44ENF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Completed: Marriage records around 1840
« on: Saturday 11 June 11 15:42 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother, Ellen Colclough, was born in Co Wicklow in 1852. Her parents' names were Thomas Colclough and Eliza/Elizabeth Byrne.

I searched the new Wicklow marriage index on IFHF this morning for a marriage between Thomas and Eliza, and it does return one match, in 1840. I'm not inclined to pay 40 euros though when I only want that one record. I have tried the LDS site, but can't find the marriage.

I suspect I already know the answer to this, but is there any other way I can get the information?

Karen
Houston: Midlothian
Roy: Perth & Kinross
Donat, Midlothian+Glasgow
O'Shea: Glasgow+Dublin
Kennedy, Murrie: Ayr
Drummond: Tyneside

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records around 1840
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 June 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
I searched the new Wicklow marriage index on IFHF this morning for a marriage between Thomas and Eliza, and it does return one match, in 1840. I'm not inclined to pay 40 euros though when I only want that one record. I have tried the LDS site, but can't find the marriage.

LDS contains mostly civil records for Ireland, so will not include an 1840 marriage.

Each record on RootsIreland is 5 - so not sure where 40 comes into it ? You can buy just one credit at a time

On the county search page you can narrow down your search to the parish of interest to see if both names and years match up

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 June 11 15:57 BST (UK) »
I suspect I already know the answer to this, but is there any other way I can get the information?

there is one other way ... assuming you know which parish the marriage took place in, and which denomination the marriage was, and that is to visit the National Library (for RC records) or the Representative Church body Library (for Church of Ireland)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline K44ENF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 June 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your reply, Shane. I did not even notice that you could now pay for just one record. That has been changed since the last time I used the site.

Record has now been purchased. Thanks very much for all the additional info above.

Karen
Houston: Midlothian
Roy: Perth & Kinross
Donat, Midlothian+Glasgow
O'Shea: Glasgow+Dublin
Kennedy, Murrie: Ayr
Drummond: Tyneside