Author Topic: Audley family who sailed to Quebec in 1920  (Read 2124 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Audley family who sailed to Quebec in 1920
« on: Saturday 11 June 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi There,
Can anybody help?

I know that an Elizabeth Audley 'described as a wife' aged 30; a Norman Audley aged 9 and an Eric Audley aged 8 departed Liverpool England on the SS Victorian on 18th August 1920 bound for Quebec Canada.

The above three were only part of a family in Liverpool England and therefore I believe that they went to visit someone in Canada rather than emigrating to Canada.

Can any body please tell me where they went when they got to Quebec or advise me where to look (a free website if possible)

Thanks in anticipation of your help
Regards
Brian Audley
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Audley family who sailed to Quebec in 1920
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 June 11 23:50 BST (UK) »
There is a Form 30 for Elizabeth Audley dated 25 Aug 1920. It indicates that she was 33 and was born in Ulverston, England. She, Norman (9-1/2) and Eric (8 ) were returning home to her/their husband/father Thos Audley of Brooklyn Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba. Elizabeth's Form 30 says she arrived in Canada in 1904 and the boys looked to say 1910 but it should be 1914 for all three.

Form 30s can be viewed at Library and Archives Canada but I have yet to figure out how they are ordered:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-908.006.01-e.html#a

Thomas, Elizabeth, Norman and Eric were on the Laurentic which arrived in Quebec on 16 May 1914. Here's a link to the passenger list image at LAC:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e144/e003597035.jpg

There is some additional information I will PM to you as some of the people named may still be alive. To avoid duplication the information is from a passenger list entry from 1932, a border crossing document from 1946 and a link to the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 11 00:31 BST (UK) »
The Manitoba Vital Statistics genealogy database has a marriage for Eric William Audley to May Augusta Roberts in Winnipeg on 11 Oct 1930.

There are also deaths for Norman Audley who died at the age of 23 in Winnipeg on 30 Apr 1932 and Victor who died at the age of 18 in Winnipeg on 7 Feb 1941.

If you wish to order the registrations they cost $10 each and instructions are at the website. Here's the link:
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

You could also try the Winnipeg Free Press archives to search for BMD announcements. It is a pay site but the prices are pretty cheap. Here's a link:
http://archives.winnipegfreepress.com/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 11 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquire,

Many thanks for your reply. i am just off to church so will respond in more detail this evening.

Regards
Brian

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquire,

Thanks for both your replies and for the PM you sent to me.

At the moment I am having a few problems trying to get the full information from your links.
I will send you a PM to ask for further advice

Regards
Brian