Author Topic: When someone can't be found in a Census ?  (Read 4525 times)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
When someone can't be found in a Census ?
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
I cannot find any record of my relative Edward Luscombe (born Dublin 1899 to John and Lucy Luscombe) in the 1911 census for England & Wales, Scotland or Ireland. I know he was in Liverpool between 1903-1909 and that he was in Dublin around 1912 but can't find him in 1911.

While this in itself isn't a big deal it is really his mother Lucy ( my gran's mother) that I am curious to locate - no record of her either but her name is more difficult to be sure about. She was widowed in Liverpool in 1909 ( when she was Lucy Luscombe) and remarried in Dublin in 1914 ( became Lucy Guilfoyle). What is curious is that my gran's birth record records her mother as Lucy Guilfoyle formerly May  - this May name is a surprise - and I am sure its the right record as everything else including address agrees. So possibly between 1909 and 1914 she remarried either in England or Dublin. But no record or her under Lucy May either.  She was literate ( amazingly so for the dire poverty she suffered).

So I was wondering how often were people missed in Census ?  Or should I try further afield - Europe / US ??? Are the European census ????
 ( in 1909 she lost 4 children and her husband to TB so most likely she returned to her home town of Dublin with her only remaining son Edward)

any suggests welcome

thanks

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: When someone can't be found in a Census ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
1: Have you looked on the Irish 1911 census (its free) - am sure someone on here will be able to post a link etc.,

2: Have you tried variations in the spelling (we all have horror stories of wierd transcriptions of very clear names - my worst most recently was HILL transcribed as WEBB)

Just 2 suggestions, more will probably follow.

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline bairn359

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Dunno about census but I did a search of Ireland births on familysearch.org and i think this might be her?

Lucy May b 6 Jan 1869 Queens, Ireland
Parents: Charles May and Lucy Forde   
Marks (cornwall, devon), Pennie (stirlingshire),
Robertson (perthshire, scotland), Swanston (roxburghshire, berwickshire)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
I have checked Irish, English & Wales and Scottish census as all are possible locations for various reasons  - but can't find anything.

If spelling or completely wrong transcription I may never find it!!!

thanks

Barbara

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 June 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
Do you have Edward's birth record yet, or the records of either of Lucy's two known marriages?

There appears to be an unnamed Luscombe chiild registered 1899q3 in Dublin North, ref 2, 488 which could be him.

Also, a John Luscombe married in 1898q3 in Dublin North, ref 2, 471 and a Lucy Lane appears with the same reference.

Similarly, a Lucy Luscombe and a Thomas Guilfoyle both married in 1914q3 in Dublin North, with the same reference of 2, 496.

If these are your family there might be further details of previous names, or other evidence to suggest what is the correct infomation.

A point to note is that several birth records that I have obtained from GRO Ireland have had a surprise mother's maiden name on them.  Other evidence such as addresses and father's occupation have shown that it is the correct record.  I can only assume that, perhaps with a screaming child in the room, the registrar has made an error or maybe the mother was too distracted to give the correct details. 

Also, in many cases the child was registered by someone "present at the birth" who may have confused the details of several infants being registered at the same time.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 June 11 23:06 BST (UK) »
thanks - yes the unnamed Luscombe is Edward, son of John and Lucy Luscombe and the marriage record you mentioned is the correct one. Also the marriage in 1914 to thomas guilfoyle is correct. So from these and again with death recoerds later I have good idea of addresses at points in time and maiden names, previous marriages etc.  I think the 'May' on the brth record in 1914 was a mistake but since I just cant locate Lucy at the time of the 1911 census its a little odd.

Lucy (my great grandmother) is a lady who until a few months ago I knew little about and recently unearthed a treasure throve of information from her son Edwards decendants ( who I didn;t know existed). These include handwritten letters from 1918 and 1919 that give wonderful insight into who she was and the social history of the time.  Locating her at times between 1901 and 1914 has disclosed an amazing story of tragegy and courage ( including losing 4 children and husband in a poor house in Liverpool ) and then in 1914 she remarried ( at 6 mths pregnant) and shortly afterwards they went to Glasgow where she died on TB in 1919. Her surviving son from her first marriage joined the Marists in 1915 and spend the war in france and italy as a teacher. Then to middle east in 1918 - an amazing story from so much poverty.   so the 1911 census would just help fill the story about alittle more.

thanks for all your help

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 June 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
I do know from my own research that some people were just missed off the census.  But they've all been men, I haven't had any females I can't find.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 June 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
Ah, now that you mention it.  I have women missing from that census (a mother and daughter) when their menfolk appear to have been recorded as normal.

Don't forget that was the "suffragette" protest census, so for such a brave strong woman, it could have been deliberate, wherever she was in the UK.  Equally it may just be a mistranscription.  Have you checked the address that she married from in 1914?  Though I think that people, especially poorer people, moved around a lot, though maybe not very far.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 June 11 08:13 BST (UK) »
have started a sweep of the area!  fingers crossed!