Author Topic: Langrell/Pierce family of Wicklow  (Read 37139 times)

Offline jetred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Langrell/Pierce family of Wicklow
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
I am search for the family of Edward Langrell born in Wicklow July 29, 1846.  He came to Canada, alone, as a young man and married there.  His middle name was "Pierce" which could be his mother's maiden name.  Would anyone have a record of a Langrell marrying a Pierce pre 1826?

Thanks very much.

Jan in Canada
Nuttall (Lancashire),  Murch and Harris (Devon)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Langrell/Pierce family of Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
Full civil records started in Ireland in 1864 (1845 for non-Catholic marriages only), so for earlier details you would need to check for available parish records. To do this you need to know the family religion and where they lived at the time - i.e. townland, town or parish.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
There are some Langrell entries in Co. Wicklow on Griffith's valuation, dated in 1854, so slightly after Edward left, that might be worth following up. They all seem to be in the townland of Cappagh, Civil parish of Ballinacor - near Rathdrum. The first four are as occupiers, the others as landlords.

see : link

Griffth's was a land tax survey, and shows occupiers and owners of property at the time.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was a Langrell from Cappagh Hill, Aughrim, I have lots of Langrell information and will go through my records to see if I can find Edward. The Langrells were Church of Ireland. Those who went to Canada became Methodists. COI records start here in the 1840 so you should be able to get Edward birth cert.,  which would give his mothers name. I have just started a facebook page  -  Langrells from Wicklow lost and found.

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
Edward Pierce Hopkins - his parents John  (d 12.5.1852) and Susan (d 25.6.1860) Langrell were my Great Great Grandparents. His sister Katherine Amelia m Robert Stevenson and remained in Ireland. However their daughter Mary Frances known as Mabel spent a year at college in Ontario and stayed with Mrs Lane who I believe was another sister. Mabel was my grandmother. There is a lot of Langrells around Cappagh Co Wicklow and I am just getting my head around them!

Hoban, McNally, Stevenson, Langrell

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
There was a Susan Langrell married to a William Stevenson in 1869.  In 1811 Sarah Stephenson married William Langrell, both were from Cappagh, Aughrim.
Also found a Pierce Wedding in Arklow, Co. Wicklow with a Hopkins witness. I will send you my email address in a private message.

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 July 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
Is this the Edward we are looking for:- Edward Pierce Langrell  married Elizabeth Trevell and and had a daughter Sarah Ellen born 4th Jan, 1879?

Offline maggiemae45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 July 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
My Great Aunt Margaret married a Edward Langrell in 1923.  Her maiden name was Murray and during my childhood I lived with her and my mother on The Mall, Wicklow.  This Edward, or Ned as I knew of him, died in Sept 1945 aged 54.  His father was Issac Langrell who died in Nov 1929 in Wicklow aged 70.  I know Ned had a sister Margaret (Mag) and a brother William (Bill) who both lived in a house in Market Square Wicklow.  It was a Protestant family, although Ned married into the catholic religion when he married my Great Aunt.

I hope this helps

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 July 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that I am sending you a private message.