Author Topic: Langrell/Pierce family of Wicklow  (Read 37098 times)

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Langrell/Pierce family of Wicklow
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 January 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me which Census district covered Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada. My Langrells are Edward Pierce Hopkins Langrell (1846-1924) and siblings but I am trying to identify a photo of 'Mother & Dad, outside our family barn in Ingersoll'. They look far too Victorian to be Edward's generation (I have pics of him) and this generation lost their parents when very young and probably emigrated to relatives, thus I am not sure what name I am looking for and have to trawl the census until I am inspired! Thanks
Hoban, McNally, Stevenson, Langrell

Offline lilymay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 February 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on Margaret Walker's family who married Isaac Langrell in Wicklow approx 1888 born 1866? There was a Jack Walker died in 1964 who had daughters Emily and Queenie. He may have been her nephew.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 February 13 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on Margaret Walker's family who married Isaac Langrell in Wicklow approx 1888 born 1866?

There's a possible match for that marriage on the BMD Index in Rathdrum registration district :

name: Isaac Langrell
  registration district: Rathdrum
  event type: Marriage
  quarter and year: Apr-Jun 1888
  volume: 2 / page : 793

a Margaret Walker appears with the same references, so a possible match. A marriage cert would show father's names and occupations, and also current residences for Isaac & Margaret

for notes on ordering research certs see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
    Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lilymay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 February 13 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot Shane. That's the one.

Offline lilymay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 February 13 23:41 GMT (UK) »
My maiden name was Langrell. My father's family was from Wicklow. He told us that the family had been Huguenots, lace makers, and went to Ireland in the time of William of Orange. He used to tell us stories of people/families being piked? in the past. Unfortunately The information was never written down. My grandmother was a Walker with a similar history but I haven't found any information on them.

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 March 13 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Edward Pierce Hopkins Langrell -Manitoba History - may say he was at Dublin Uni but a researcher there says there is no record of him whatsoever. It would have been Trinity College. However in 1867 he was in London applying to become and Outdoor Officer in the Customs and later travelled to Ghana.
Hoban, McNally, Stevenson, Langrell

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 07:28 GMT (UK) »
I am curious about your Hopkins, Pierce and Langrell connections.

My Hopkins came from Co. Wicklow and settled in Grey County Ontario.   They had Langrill neighbours who were also from Ireland...William Langrill, born 1835.   He married one of our family members, so they may have also been neighbours in Ireland.

the fact that your Edward Langrell had middle names Pierce and Hopkins suggests he had Hopkins and Pierce ancestors.

A Thomas Pierce held the lease to 41 acres at Coolfancy in Co. Wicklow in 1827...close to many Hopkins!

What more can you tell me?   This is all a shot in the dark but interesting.

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Was William Langrell married to Hannah Hutton? He was born 1832 and was from Cappagh, Wicklow. He was Hannah's second husband.  Hannah was the daughter of Charlotte Hopkins  and Edge Hutton.

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 November 14 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone confirm that Edward Pierce Langrell 1846-1924 was Edward Peirce Hopkins Langrell?   If so, what is the Hopkins connection?

What is the reference to a Hopkins witness to a Pierce wedding in Arklow...details please.

ailbhe...

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.