Author Topic: Langrell/Pierce family of Wicklow  (Read 37095 times)

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Langrell/Pierce family of Wicklow
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 November 14 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes.   William Langrell (b1835? on tombstone)married Hannah Hutton, daughter of Charlotte Hopkins and Thomas Hutton...possibly Thomas Edge Hutton.   Any more details?

Hannah's first husband was Thomas Lawrence

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 November 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I have the following information on 'Langrell' in my database, hope they may be of some help to you,
The Census of Ieland for 1901 and 1911 are on line at NAI. Census, these are the only census available for Ireland until the 1926 are released in 100 yrs i.e. 2026.
Also the graveyard inscriptions and photos of headstones were very kindly posted by Joyce Tunstad

census of Ireland 1901 b3, Ballinacorebeg 38/1: D.E.D. Old Town, Roundwood.Civil Parish Derrylossary. Co Wicklow, Ireland

1 Richard Langrell, head of household, C of I, could Read & write, age 80 yrs Farmer, widower, born Co Wicklow
2 Henry Langrell, son C of I, could read & Wrie, age 35 yrs, Farmer's son, married, born Co Wicklow
3 Elizabeth (nee ? ) Daughter-in-Law, C of I could read & write age 25yrs, married, born Co Wicklow
4 Ellen C. Langrell, Grand daughter c of I age 1 yr born Co Wicklow
5 Denis Doyle, servant, R.C. could read & wrie age 25 yrs Farm servant, single, born Co Wicklow.

Burials in Dunganstown Churchyard, Co Wicklow, Ireland:
1888 - Langrell, Seapark, Coachman.
1889 - Langrell, Seapark, Coastguard.
Ref.: cyndislist rootsweb: Archives: Dunganstown. No other information given on this website.

Double Grave in Rathnew Cemetery, Merrymeeting, Rathnew nos (a) 2215: (b) 2216.
Buried in grave No 2215: 3 persons
    1 Isaac Langril died 4th November 1920 age 70 yrs.  [bc 1859] where? Religion Protestant .
     2 Margaret Langril, widow died 21 Jan 1943 age 78 yrs [bc 1865] where? Religion Protestant.
     3 John Langril, son, single, died 24th May 1945 age 57 yrs [bc 1888] where? Religion Protestant.

Burid in grave no 2216: 2 persons, possiably children of the above Isaac.
     1 William Langril, single died 2nd April 1960 age 68 yrs [bc 1892]
     2 Margaret Langril, single died 12th July 1964 [bc 1899]

Info with thanks to:   Mr. Wm Roberts, Clerk of the Rathdrum & Wicklow Joint Burial Board, Wicklow County Council, Station Road, Wicklow Town.
(20th March 2008 MF). Forgot to ask Billy if any addresses were entered!

Who was Anne Langrell The Mall, bc 1875 other Elizabeth. I have no more information or where I got this information from. I think it was from Billy Roberts.

No.108     Erected | by | their daughter | In Memory of her parents | ISAAC LANGRELL | who died 3rd Nov. 1928 | also his wife MARGARET | who died 21st Jan. 1943 |
and their son ISAAC | who died 10th July 1943 | Interred at Adderbury, England| also their son JOHN | who died 24th May 1945. | and their son WILLIAM LANGRELL |                                                                                                                                                     who died 2nd April 1960. Base of headstone:-  also their daughter MARGARET | who died 12th July 1964
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 November 14 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting this information. In the Applotment books the only Langrell outside Cappagh, Augrim was Richard, Derrylossary.  In Griffith Valuations there was  William Langrell at Annagh as well as Richard, Derrylossary and those at Cappagh.    The burials in Rathnew are the family of  Isaac Langrell, Wicklow Town who was son of John Langrell Cappagh.  Have you a connection to the Langrells? 

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 22 November 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  If anyone needs further info on the LANGRELLS and HOPKINS of Grey Co. Ontario, I have plenty.

In the meantime, still waiting to figure out the connection between Edward Pierce Langrell of Cappagh, Co. Wicklow and Hopkins

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 23 November 14 08:33 GMT (UK) »
20 hits for Langrell on here
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

And 3 more here
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/
and more when you enter Langrell as Benificary

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
As you can see by previous posts,  Edward Pierce Langrell had another middle name...Hopkins.   I would love to find out why he had this name.   As all of these families seem to have come from Wicklow County, it is likely that either a Pierce of a Langrell had married with a Hopkins at some point.

Anybody got any clues?

Cheers

Ross in Canada.

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 29 November 14 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Edward Pierce (Hopkins) Langrell - 29th July 1846 - was my Great Grandmother's brother. I am in touch with his direct descendants in Canada. He was christened only Edward Pierce. However the family was effectively orphaned in 1853 and the children were looked after by two families. EPH and his sister Susanna went to a Hopkins relative and as a means of identifying the family to which these children belonged the name of the 'carer' was added in the usual Irish tradition. Thus EP became EPH. His youngest brother had the name Wilson added - he was only a year old and she was a nurse/housekeeper to a Rev Guinness who EPH had great respect for and probably helped him get his Certificate at the Royal Dublin Society. He named one of his sons after the Rev but being teetotal spelt it Ginnis! There were 8 children (1836-1852). Two girls remained in Ireland and three girls and three boys emigrated to Canada and Detroit initially. Their parents were John Langrell and Susanna Hopkins. I have not tracked the Pierce yet. I have more info if you wish to e mail me direct. I am in the UK but have a house in Ireland.
Hoban, McNally, Stevenson, Langrell

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 29 November 14 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Same man?
A Reverend William Smyth Grattan Guinness mentioned here in the indexes of  Arthur Lee Guinness of Roundwood died 1863 11 Jan 1863.
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014885/005014885_00276.pdf
He William may have died shortly after in 1864
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014886/005014886_00253.pdf

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 29 November 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Susan Wilson died 1850.  Rev. W.S.Grattan Guinness was the Wilson's landlord,