Author Topic: Dukes of Argyll  (Read 20212 times)

Offline jippo0719

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dukes of Argyll
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 March 13 13:00 BST (UK) »
There has been a legend in my family for many years - long before I started tracing my family history 14 years ago- and I am still no nearer to finding if the legend is true. My 3 x great grandfather, Robert Campbell was born around 1787 "somewhere in Scotland". It is alleged that one of his ancestors was the daughter of the Duke of Argyll and she eloped with a coachman. The Duke was apparently so angry when he found that they had married that he tore the marriage entry out of the parish register. It sounds very unlikely that he would do this but that is how the story has been passed down for generations. A few of my family are very proud that they may be related to the Dukes of Argyll and I would love to find the truth. Has anyone any ideas?

Robert Campbell married in Lowther in Westmorland in 1813 and was one of the stone masons involved with the building of Lowther Castle. In the 1841/1851 census he is just listed as being born in Scotland. Very frustrating!!

Offline jippo0719

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 March 13 13:05 BST (UK) »
My name is John, same with me... my great grandmother was said to be the illegitimate daughter of the Duke of Argyll and a governess . Please contact me at my email address * and we can hook up to discuss. Maybe we are related which would somewhat prove our stories. I am getting a dna test to help.  John
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline annstewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 August 13 18:41 BST (UK) »
I have created a tree for a friend.  Her mother told her of a family member who ran off with the coachman.  The daughter (Ella?) was with child.  However, the coachman had passed.  Married or not, don't know.  This family group was believed to be from Argyle.

This family Duncan McDougal b1828, Scotland m Mary Macdonald, Scotland.  Their children; Duncan, Peter, Catherine, Julia, Mary, Archibald, Archie, Hector, Donald Daniel, Anna, Barbara.

They emigratrated separately to Canada.  One of their sons, Hector was born in Toronto.  The family moved on through Minnesota to Chicago, Cook, Illinois.

Fact or fiction????

Another story, one of the ancestors married an indian princess.

The other side of the family is Amelia Carnes.  Amelia married Hector McDougal/ll
Amelia's parents were:  William Carnes b1835 Canada/Conn & Ella Livingston b 1834 Canada/Conn.
The children of William Carnes & Ella were; Amelia, Eva & Nellie.

Offline annstewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 August 13 18:50 BST (UK) »
Follow up. 

The Lord's daughter (possibly Ellen, Ella?) ran off with the coachman.  The daughter was with child.  The coachman had died.

The story did not include if this couple married or if the child was given the mother's maiden surname or fathers?

Offline gillnorman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 August 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Mmm. I also have a similar story. Janet Campbell one of my ancestors born in 1788 was supposedly a daughter of the Duke of Argyll and she is said to have run off with my ancestor Samuel Mccoll from Appin. He was a local schoolmaster and they went over to the Isle of Lismore to live and raise a lot of mccolls! I was contacted by someone on rootschat (unfortunanately i have lost the email due to a computer breakdown) who told me that in the 1920s the then Duchess of Argyll contacted one of Janet Campbells heirs and took her to Dunstaffnage Castle to show her around. No idea where all this came from but would love to find out as others do if theres any truth behind it. i was told the campbell lord disinherited his daughter \janet when she eloped

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 August 17 07:34 BST (UK) »
Neil Munro, the author, was supposedly an illegitimate son of the duke of Argyll.

Skoosh.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
dkoosh which one,? arcjibald campbell isin my family linehe was son of colin campbell the chief of the clan, he had a son called john, who got his father to move his collection if trees down to ptincessalexandras' palace, which became kew gardens. so if you ever go there and see trees with the endin campbellii they were riginally broughtto his estate but not sure when, but I think they were moved about 1785 'ish
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Archibald Campbell, 3rd Duke of Argyll, 1st Earl of Ilay (June 1682 – 15 April 1761)Born at Ham House, Petersham, Surrey, he was the second son of Archibald Campbell, 10th Earl and 1st Duke of Argyll
"The Duke established an estate at Whitton Park, Whitton in Middlesex in 1722 on land that had been enclosed some years earlier from Hounslow Heath. The Duke was an enthusiastic gardener and he imported large numbers of exotic species of plants and trees for his estate. He was nicknamed the 'Treemonger' by Horace Walpole. On his death, many of these, including mature trees, were moved by his nephew, the third Earl of Bute, to the Princess of Wales' new garden at Kew. This later became Kew Gardens and some of the Duke's trees are still to be seen there to this day. The Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree is an imported shrub named after him which has become established in hedgerows in some parts of England."
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 November 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Archibald Campbell, 3rd Duke of Argyll, 1st Earl of Ilay (June 1682 – 15 April 1761)Born at Ham House, Petersham, Surrey, he was the second son of Archibald Campbell, 10th Earl and 1st Duke of Argyll
"The Duke established an estate at Whitton Park, Whitton in Middlesex in 1722 on land that had been enclosed some years earlier from Hounslow Heath. The Duke was an enthusiastic gardener and he imported large numbers of exotic species of plants and trees for his estate. He was nicknamed the 'Treemonger' by Horace Walpole. On his death, many of these, including mature trees, were moved by his nephew, the third Earl of Bute, to the Princess of Wales' new garden at Kew. This later became Kew Gardens and some of the Duke's trees are still to be seen there to this day. The Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree is an imported shrub named after him which has become established in hedgerows in some parts of England."

thanks larkspur, I thought it was his son john who got him to move them from argyll to the princess alexandras'estate at kew which was a palace i understand? she was danish before she married into our royal family? ws it her that thought up the roses made by disabled people, for the fallenin battle?
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet