Author Topic: Dukes of Argyll  (Read 20190 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Dukes of Argyll
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 November 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Princess Alexandra, later Queen was married to Edward VII they never lived at Kew.
"The exotic garden at Kew Park, formed by Lord Capel John of Tewkesbury, was enlarged and extended by Augusta, Dowager Princess of Wales, the widow of Frederick, Prince of Wales. The origins of Kew Gardens can be traced to the merging of the royal estates of Richmond and Kew in 1772. William Chambers built several garden structures, including the lofty Chinese pagoda built in 1761 which still remains. George III enriched the gardens, aided by William Aiton and Sir Joseph Banks. The old Kew Park (by then renamed the White House), was demolished in 1802. The "Dutch House" adjoining was purchased by George III in 1781 as a nursery for the royal children. It is a plain brick structure now known as Kew Palace."
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Leilani Lewis Sterling

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 February 18 01:12 GMT (UK) »
I was told by my Grandmother that her father or Grandfather was to be the next Duke or Earl of Argyll.  He came to America (I am assuming it may have been my G Grandfather Robert Campbell if not it was GG Grandfather Robert)   early  1900s as my Grandmother was born in 1911 and her sister was a couple of years older.  It has been told that when the Duke of Argyll (of that time period) passed away they located him here in the US and he gave up the title, etc. to stay in America.  He did not want to go back.  I know that my Great Grandfather Robert Campbell married my great Grandmother Edna Reiger. upon her getting pregnant.  A shotgun wedding apparently.  2 children were born of this marriage  Ruby Ellen(grandmother), and Jewel.  They were divorced and he remarried and lived in illinois near Chicago.  There were 2 or three children by that marriage one of the boy's name was "Buck"  I believe   .  But his birthname was also Robert .  but that is all that I know about him I have been searching for any information about the title going to a cousin around the time that my G Grandfather decided to stay here in the states.  If there is any list of the people who held the title I would appreciate you to contact me please

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 February 18 02:00 GMT (UK) »
have you tried wikipeadia sometimes lists parts of family trees as it did with levison gower family
best of luck
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 February 18 05:09 GMT (UK) »
This is the 13th (current) Duke, and his lineage.

http://www.thepeerage.com/p261.htm