Author Topic: John Steer,West Norwood,1880s.Charlie Chaplin  (Read 8909 times)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Steer,West Norwood,1880s.Charlie Chaplin
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 August 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Have just received a copy of the marriage certificate of John Steer and Mabel Brimmell ,Gloucester 1904.It confirms his age as 26 ,occupation clerk,and father's name as Charles Steer,coachman (deceased).I am still unable to find a BMD record for his birth around 1878,or find him in the 1881 census.He is in the 1891 census at the West Norwood School.The only possible Charles Steer I can find is from the 1871 census where his occupation is given as "carman" (presumably driver of a delivery horse and cart),with wife Elizabeth,and children Robert age 12,and Harriett age 9.However he also appears in 1881 in the same street,with wife and children although his name is given as "Steers" which confused me at first.That does not fit with John Steer being born in 1878.Perhaps he was illegitimate as I first suspected and invented the father who was supposed to have died in an accident.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline organicgardener

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me with my eldest son and two grandaughters
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 December 21 06:26 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a lady named Nelly Hawthorne who was a music hall artist with Charlie Chaplin her real name was Ella McKinnon and they appeared together before he went to America. Any posters or photo's or where to find them would be much appreciated    thank you.
Challinor= Cheshire,   Onions- Walsall Staffordshire,   Cliffe/Cliff Warrington Eckersley- Salford, Heathcote Windsor, Palin Cheshire/ Beeston

Offline theirchild

• RootsChat Extra
  • "A little thanks goes a long way."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 December 21 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi organicgardener,

The British Music Hall Society's research guide might, perhaps, be helpful:
[ADDED: Please see the link below this ad that's planted itself in the middle of my post!]

http://www.britishmusichallsociety.com/Researching%20Guide%20-%20Artistes.pdf

Another suggestion: Your request would likely attract the attention and help of more Rootschatters if you started a new thread for it, with its own specific title - something like: "Nelly Hawthorne (real name Ella McKinnon), Music Hall Artist with Charlie Chaplin". OrganicJohn's thread is over 10 years old now and, of course, has a title related to his particular research topic; so your post, on page 3 of his thread, could easily be missed.

NB: If you do start a new thread, please edit your current post* with a link to - or a mention of - the new one (or ask the moderator to do so), to prevent duplication of Rootchatters' research efforts/guidance.

* Alternatively, you could add a further post, with the link/mention, to OrganicJohn's thread. 

Rgds,

theirchild     

Rootschat is free. Saying "thanks" also costs nothing.

"Gratitude is the sign of a noble soul."
- Aesop

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom."
- Henry Ward Beecher
--------------------------
NAME INTERESTS

ANDERSON: Shoreditch, Bethnal Grn & Glasgow
AVIS: Mayfield & Rotherfield
BASSETT: Mayfield, Rotherfield, Wadhurst, Ticehurst, Tunbridge Wells & nearby
MANN: Stepney & Shoreditch
MILLS: Shoreditch
RUSSELL: Mayfield & Burwash
SCHOLTZ: Islington & Kentish Town
WITT: Christchurch & nearby (Hants)

Offline organicgardener

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me with my eldest son and two grandaughters
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 December 21 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks theirchild  for the information, I didn't know what to call a new thread but when I saw Charlie Chaplin I joined in !  I will start a new thread and see if I get anymore information and also contact the British music hall society. Regards Chris.
Challinor= Cheshire,   Onions- Walsall Staffordshire,   Cliffe/Cliff Warrington Eckersley- Salford, Heathcote Windsor, Palin Cheshire/ Beeston