Author Topic: William and Mary (Kennedy) Stoddart  (Read 31009 times)

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William and Mary (Kennedy) Stoddart
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 05:31 BST (UK) »
 I have a connection to William Stoddart and Mary Kennedy. Their son James married Margaret Moffat, daughter of John Moffat and Marjory MacKay. Does anyone know if Mary Kennedy was the daughter of Martin Kennedy & Ann McDonald?  Martin and Ann have a daughter Mary b 1848 and a son Roderick 1846, both born Kilmonivaig.

Ann

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 06:44 BST (UK) »
Mary Kennedy who died at Fort Augustus in 1896, was the daughter of Archibald Kennedy and his wife Carherine MacDonell. She was the grand daughter of Ewen Kennedy and his wife Mary Cameron of Balmaglaster, Invergarry.
Mary Kennedy's husband, William Stoddart, who died at Fort Augustus in 1913, was the son of James Stoddart and his wife Jessie Fraser.
I would love to hear more about James Stoddart, son of William and Mary!!

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 08:00 BST (UK) »
I only have a little on James as I am connected through the Moffat family. James was a carpenter who married Margaret Moffat. She says she was born in Ireland about 1868. I have only found one daughter Mary born 1899 in Edinburgh. James and Margaret both died after 1901.

Margaret Moffat was the daughter of John Moffat and Margery McKay. He was a labourer and Margery was a midwife. They had another daughter Mary who I haven't tracked past 1881 census. John & Margery are buried in Kilchuiman and have a headstone (number 124 on the CD) . John's parents were James Moffat & Margaret McGregor who lived at Newton, near Aberchalder. John's sister Elizabeth was my great great grandmother.

So I have a fragile link to the Stoddart's but found them while looking for Kennedy's, in particular Catherine Kennedy who married John McDonell. The have a memorial at Auchterawe cemetery. If you spread the circle wide enough, you always seem to come back to someone you know!!

Hope this is of some help.

By the way some of the dates are wrong, no doubt related to the poor state of the headstones. Mary Stoddart can't have died in 1862 as she is with James in the 1871 census, and certainly not 14 years old (she was born about 1822). It looks like James Stoddart died in 1877 aged 86 (not 1845, as listed here on an earlier post).

I'll keep digging.

Ann

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info on James Stoddart.
I made contact earlier this year with the descendants of his brother Simon who live in Australia, also other relatives in Fort Augustus.
abrach1

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 November 12 22:19 GMT (UK) »
HI
I was at school, Inverness Royal Academy,  1955 -1961 with Heather Stoddart from Gorthleck (Dores parish). It is near Errogie mentioned by another person.  I am not sure where she went when she left school.Her father most likely worked on one of the estates there.
Hope this helps. irenef

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 August 13 21:45 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that my first cousin, once removed, Donaldina Mackay, born 1908 was married to a George Stoddart, born 1901.

Donaldina was the daughter of Donald Mackay and Maggie Ann (Margaret) Kelly / MacGillivary.

George was the son of James Stoddart and Bella (Isabella) Smith.

Donaldina and George married in 1930.

The areas of Petty, Dores, Dunlichity etc are all featured with this family.

I would love to hear from anyone with connections.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline Willow7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 September 13 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hiya have just joined up and am researching William Stoddart and Mary Kennedy. Sarah O'Malley  immigrated to Australia.

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 September 13 19:05 BST (UK) »
William Stoddart maried Mary Kennedy on 6th July 1870 at Fort Augustus.
Ten children :-
James bc 1871, Ewen bc 1872 d 1874, Katy bc 1876 d 1956, Jessie bc 1874 d 1947 (married Roderick Kennedy - butcher's business in Inverness, one son was Canon Alastair Kennedy), Archie bc 1877, Mary bc 1879 (married Alexander Matheson0, Sarah bc 1880, Annie bc 1883, Helen bc 1886 d 1889, Simon bc 1884 d 1961 in Australia.

William Stoddart was the son of James Stoddart and Jessie Fraser, Mary Kennedy was the daughter of Archibald Kennedy and Catherine MacDonell, and the grand daughter of Ewen Kennedy and Mary Cameron of Balmaglaster, Invergarry.

I am descended from Angus Kennedy, brother of Archibald Kennedy.

abrach1

Offline Willow7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 September 13 22:27 BST (UK) »
We must be from the same family I have Archibald Kennedy married Catherine McDonald had a daughter Mary Kennedy. Dates seem to be the same. How ever I was told, to make it confusing that their daughter Jessie married a Kennedy. Have u gone beyond James Stoddart b1792 Jessie Frazer b1793.