Author Topic: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT  (Read 23485 times)

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 February 12 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, no i passed all the info on to my brother in law whom is sir joseph Wards grandson and is related to the Murrays on the davidson side,so i dont know if he has done anything as yet, thanks lnr

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 February 12 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have a great grandmother b 1879 Margaret Bentley nee Findlay also possibly nee Scott (Sydney Australia) who used to say she was a direct descendant of Sir Walter Scott (poet). Her name was Margaret Scott (before she married a Andrew Findlay). She migrated to Australia from Scotland. Her parents were Andrew Scott and Margaret Scott. Andrew Scott was the son of Janet Scott who was related to Sir Walter Scott maybe through a sister in-law/niece Elizabeth? Any help appreciated!

the 1881 Scotish census has
Andrew Findlay 29 b Cullen Banffshire - Tailor
Janet Findlay wife 26 b Jedburgh Roxburgshire
William J Scott stepson 7 b Jedburgh
Andrew J Scott 6 nephew b same
Maggie Findley daug 2 b same
Margaret Scott 62 Mother-in-law - Drapers widow
and a boarder William Ovens
at 19 Exchange St, Jedburgh Roxburghshire

Janet's family on 1861 census
Andrew Scott 44 b Barden Roxburghshire a com traveller
Margaret wife 43 b Morebattle Roxburghshire
William R Scott son 10 b Jedburgh Roxburghshire
Margaret daug 8 b same
Janet daug 6 b same
at 9 Market Place Roxburghshire.

1851 Scotland census for Andrew Scott and family.

Andrew Scott 33 head b Bowden Roxburghshire - ag lab = born in 1818
Hannah wife 28 b England
William son 1 wk b Jedburgh
Marg Potts 49 Mother-in-law b England - farmers wife
Mary Thomson 13 cousin-in-law b England
Mary Drummond 12 cousin-in-law b England
at Overwells Cottage Jedburgh Roxburghshire

Offline totnesmv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 06:42 BST (UK) »
I have an ANDREW MURRAY   Male     
 Birth:  27 JAN 1793   
 Christening:  13 MAR 1793   Greenwells, Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland
Parents:
  Father:  DAVID MURRAY  Family
  Mother:  CHRISTIAN BUCHAN 
on my family tree.      I can't find that he has any connection to Sir Walter Scott but I believe he may have worked at Abbotford at some time.
I descend down from David Murray's father David Murray b abt 1723 and his 2nd wife Agnes Gray.   I am hoping the Andrew you are interested in is my Andrew as we couldn't find what happened to him.
Georgia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there Georgia,

Welcome to Rootschat....

If you make two more posts, you will be able to exchange Private Messages (PM) with any other Rchatter..... including the RChatter who started this thread.

Just reply twice more, even if to say HI only

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline totnesmv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 13 April 12 06:25 BST (UK) »
Did Andrew Murray have a brother James?

On my family tree he had a sister Elizabeth Elliott Murray who had a son John b1814 by a Joseph Lightbody.  This John called himself John Murray and went off to America.  Lots of people descend down from this chap.

Georgia

Offline Glenstrae McGregor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

This may also be a part of this whole discovery, well hopefully.

John Roberts Scott, apparently born Hamilton, lanarkshire, Scotland 1796 to John Scot & Agnes Turner.  Married Helen Forrest

John was said to be the first cousin to the Duke of Buccluech
He had a farm on the banks of the river Clyde in Hamilton, Scotland.

John was invited by Govonor Sir James Stirling, to come to the new Colony of Western Australia, with his wife Helen, Daniel McGregor(1815-1898), a son of Helen's from a previous marraige to Alexander McGregor apparently in 1814. who died apparently in 1817.
And two sons to Helen, John William & Robert Scott,

They became a very notable Pioneering family in W.A.

John had a cousin noted to be living in the Eastern states of Australia, once thought to Be William Henry Scott, only one record of this has been found to that name, but more to the Name of William Hugh Scott, with a brother hugh.   both entries list them William Henry or Hugh to be the Nephew of Sir Walter Scott, the 1st Bart, the other as the Great Novelist, meaning it is the writer not another Sir Walter..  This also should mean that, they must Descend from a Male sibling of Sir walter to carry the Scott Surname.   Unfortunatley, most of Sir Walters Siblings died quiet young.

I am looking for any Descendants of this family from the Port Phillip, Muarry, Victoria area of Australia, Squatter farmers.   one property is mentioned as Burrowye and tied in with the Ned Kelly BushRanger story. ""First taken up between 1837 and 1840 by the overlander from New South Wales, William Hugh Scott (14,000 acres)""

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/AUS-VIC-HIGH-COUNTRY/2001-12/1007816757
Burrowye joining Thologolong up the river was taken up in 1838 by Donald McLeod, who in '45 transferred to William and Hugh Scott, nephews of the great novelist Sir Walter Scott.

What is interesting is the MacGregor connection but will go into that some other time...

Remember Sir walter's book "Rob Roy"

Please help if you know anything about this family to the east and I hope it opens some doors for you as well..

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 06:32 GMT (UK) »
TROVE has the Government Gazette of "Claims to Leases of Crown Land"  1848, including Burrowye to William Hugh SCOTT.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4764315

The application for land, Burrowye, William H SCOTT, 1848
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4763547   and
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/91459433

Sale of Burrowye 1862
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5718009

etc, etc

None of this furthers finding the SCOTT connections though  ::)

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 25 January 13 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Just attaching my Scott tree. I am from Wollongong and Andrew Findlay and Janet Scott are where my  line began in Australia. They migrated 1883 from Jedburgh, Roxburghshire. First to Rockhampton Qld then to Sydney. My grandmother Marion used to say she was a descendant of Sir Walter Scott (poet) through her mother's mother. Her mother was Margaret Bentley who's mother was Janet Scott who married Andrew Findlay. Interestingly Janet Scotts paternal grandmother was also a Scott (another Janet Scott) as was here relative further down her fathers line (another Janet Scott who married Alexander Scott). Kind Regards Sandra Wollongong-Australia.
Apparently one of the Scott women had a sister who went to America and somehow was related to Jessie James? Oh the stories we weave?? You never know it may all be true?

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 15 July 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you are not following this thread any more;

Just to reiterate that Andrew Murray was NOT a nephew of Sir Walter Scott.
That information is totally incorrect. Andrew was, according to Sir Walter Scott
himself ..a talented young man who he employed at Abbotsford and sponsored as a
student Gardener. He recommended Andrew for a horticultural position in New South Wales.

Andrew came from the same area as our Murrays in Scotland however ours arrived in
the 1920's and Andrew arrived early 1800's. He owned a farmhouse nearby to where I
live (at Beecroft in Sydney) . That Farmhouse still partially stands in Murray Farm Road Beecroft
however the M7 Motorway cuts across the old grounds.

A later Andrew Murray also from this family also lived in Beecroft and came over from Scotland
later. I think he may have purchased the old farmhouse in Murray Farm Road as well.  There is a
school in the street named Murray Farm Public school and the children wear the Murray tartan.
Both the street and the school are named for these Murrays. Although Andrew the 1st usually lived
at Parramatta and Sydney city, he also maintained the farm at Beecroft.

Sir Walter Scott's hand written reference for Andrew Murray can be found in the State Library of NSW in Macquarie Street Sydney.

Alexandrina Murray
Murray Clan DNA Research Project
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye