Author Topic: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT  (Read 23402 times)

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT
« on: Tuesday 14 June 11 05:29 BST (UK) »
 I am trying to find the relatoinship; ie family tree for Andrew Murray whom married Eleanor Kilpack 1818 Paramatta nsw. It was said he was nephew of Sir Walter Scott? I dont know his date of birth or whom his parents were, can any one help/ thanks lnr

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 07:16 BST (UK) »

This might be deaths for your couple -

4798/1858 Andrew Murray 65yrs at Parramatta
5827/1868 Eleanor Murray parents David K and Eleanor  Parramatta

There are death/funeral notices in SMH 19th May 1868 and 24 May 1858.
Eleanor is relict of late Andrew Murray, and 73yrs. They live at Brisbane Cottage George St Parramatta.

His death cert. will not have parents but birthplace, years in the colony, occupation might be good leads.

They might be buried together. Headstones sometimes appear later, and further information about family becomes available so you might have some luck from the cemetery.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 07:36 BST (UK) »
It appears that they dodged the 1828 census, but are on the 1822 and 1825 musters.  Andrew came free on the Lord Eldon, and daughter Christiana born in the colony.  Eleanor is with them in 1822, born in the colony, but not in 1825.

Andrew's details from The Col Sec's papers
http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/m/F40c_mu-my-08.htm#P3781_112883

As Wivenhoe said, his death cert would be the first stop to obtain his place of birth.

Debra  :D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re the 1858 death for Andrew Murray aged 65 as mentioned by wivenhoe (4798/1858)

The Probate Packets Index online at NSW State Records Office shows
Andrew Murray Date of death 21 May 1858, (Probate) Granted on 19 July 1858.
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-online#p

Also the trove digitised newspapers
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13012858 SMH 22 June 1858 lists the executators of his estate as Neil Stewart and James Milson (the younger) ... perhaps related to Andrew Murray Esq.

It is also likely that in 1828 this same Andrew Murray was the Superintendent of the Carter's Barracks, and as such would have been responsible for compiling the details of the inmates at that establishment.  Perhaps he overlooked adding his own family's details when preparing the census forms.

Google Carter's Barracks  :D  (one of my forebears was a lay preacher there in the 1820's)

PS, I agree, the d.c. would be a sensible place to start... then the next place I would look for further details would be the Probate Packet at Kingswood Archives...  SOMETIMES there's bdm certificates and other family history information in these...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 16:20 BST (UK) »

Re the 1858 death for Andrew Murray aged 65 as mentioned by wivenhoe (4798/1858)

Also the trove digitised newspapers SMH 22 June 1858 lists the executators of his estate as Neil Stewart and James Milson (the younger) ... perhaps related to Andrew Murray Esq.

James MILSON (the younger) named as an executor of Andrew MURRAY's estate was his nephew  :)

Eleanor's older sister Elizabeth KILPACK married James MILSON (Snr).

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 16:24 BST (UK) »

They might be buried together. Headstones sometimes appear later, and further information about family becomes available so you might have some luck from the cemetery.

Andrew MURRAY is buried at St John's Parramatta:

Sacred
to the memory
of
ANDREW MURRAY
who departed this life
21st May 1858
aged 65 years
He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me
in the paths of tighteousness. For his
names sake.
Yea, though I walk through the calley
of the shadow of Death I will fear no
Evil for Thou art with me. Thy rod
and Thy staff they comfort me
Psalm 23

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
I have several resources here that contain information about Andrew MURRAY, the KILPACK & MILSON familes.
As I don't know what information you do have I will place these couple of snippetts of interest here for you.

One of them states that Andrew MURRAY b. abt. 1793 was son of David MURRAY of Greenwells, Scotland.

He arrived in 1817 on the 'Lord Eldon' along with John Macarthur (who was returning from exile in England) and had letters of introduction to the Governor.
Andrew was friends with James Milson who had similar horticultural interests and who became his brother-in-law.

There is information on his occupations, family, land holdings, residences etc., including confirmation of what JM posted previously on Carter's Barracks.

If you require anything else just request it  :)

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
Birth & Christening - Andrew MURRAY:

MURRAY Andrew   
Born: 27 Jan 1793    
Christening: 13 MAR 1793 - Greenwells, Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland
Father: David MURRAY    
Mother: Christian BUCHAN

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Wondering if there is any connection to Andrew Murray for a Thomas MURRAY, ex the Sept 1817 voyage of the Lord Eldon (Captain Lamb).   Thomas was sentenced to 7 years in August 1816 at Exeter.  His CF number 173/2763 was in lieu of CF 59/1273.   That's the same voyage to NSW for both Andrew and Thomas.

In 1825 Thomas was a labourer at Parramatta.

Re Sir Walter Scott, and a possible uncle to Andrew ..... I read online that he was one of 11 children, not all survived to adulthood. .   Andrew could of course be a nephew via Sir Walter's wife  rather than via the SCOTT line, or it could be that Andrew's wife was related to the SCOTT family tree.  It is also possible that there is no family connection.  As Andrew was born in Scotland it is very sensible to consider that people would consider him a "Scot" as this would be his native place.  And thus down through the generations the oral history has developed that to be a "SCOTT" ....

http://www.walterscott.lib.ed.ac.uk/biography/origins.html
Walter Scott was born on August 15, 1771 in College Wynd, Edinburgh. He was the ninth child of Walter Scott, Writer to the Signet, and Anne Rutherford, but five of his siblings had already died in infancy, and a sixth, Barbara, was to die when he was five months old.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.