Author Topic: cuppanagh  (Read 7879 times)

Offline bob d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
cuppanagh
« on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
does anyone know anything about a duignan/degnan family from cuppanagh, county sligo???????????????

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cuppanagh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. What would you like to know?
You need to give us a bit more detail before we can help you- no point in telling you to check something like 1901 census if you are looking for 19th century records, etc.
Can you give us any names and dates (even approx. dates will do)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bob d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
i have been trying to find a duignan family that lived in cuppanagh, sligo in the 1860s on. been through the censuses and no luck. the family was: charles duignan, bridget dwyer duignan, mother and father of:
catherine, margaret, charles, peter, and pat.  i have all their birth certificates but cannot find any information other than that.  peter and pat came to phila, pa in the 1890s, the others  remained in cuppanagh. the  son charles may have married a girl whose name could have been queenan and they had two daughters anna and elizabeth who later emmigrated to the usa.  i have been trying for years and years, even talked to people who knew them but these people can't recall what happened to them. any help is appreciated.

Offline bob d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
the following are the birth dates for the duignans from cuppanagh, sligo.  margaret 1865, charles 1867, catherine 1868
peter 1871 and pat 1872.  once again any help is appreciated.  i have been through griffiths evaluation, met the baronness of coolavin some years ago, madame macdermott i think. she knew the name but could not remember what happened to the people in question.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
Found birthdates for some of the family-
1) Margaret born 7 Apr.1867 Ballinafad, Boyle registration district (page 107 in civil register)
2) Charles born 3 Oct.1868 Ballinafad (page 89)
3) Peter born 21 Jan.1871 Boyle No. 2 (page 135)

Possible death registration for Charles (senior)- Charles Duignan July/Sept.1921 Boyle registration district (age 77 so born c1844), volume 4 page 45

Possibly your Charles Duignan (junior) in 1911 census with a wife named Mary- lists 4 children but only 2 living-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Altagowlan/Aghabely/762549
Same family in 1901- Mary's maiden name seems to be Walsh, there are 2 sons and a daughter Eliza Agnes (possibly Elizabeth you mentioned?)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Altogawlan/Aghabehy/1658131
Note: Aghabehy and Cuppanagh are less than 20 miles apart

Still searching...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
Should the placename not be Aghanagh (sometimes spelt Aughanagh) which is a parish to the west of Lough Arrow bordering on to Co Roscommon with the Catholic parish of the same name extending into Roscommon. Ballinafad is within this parish where the Duigans are known to have dwelt. I seem to recall they were once a prominent family in that district.

Good luck,
J.T.A.

Offline bob d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 June 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I cannot understand what happened to my Cuppanagh Duignans.  On my first trip to Ireland in 1961,  I met a man from Cuppanagh who knew my great uncle  Pat.  I have chatted with residents from surrounding townlands who told me that a road, Charley's Road, was named after Charles Duignan Sr. Some people recall the Duignans but cannot remember what  happened to them.  I have the birth certificates that I acquired in1961 for the children of Charles and Bridget Duignan who was from Annagh.
All the birth certificates name Cuppanagh as their residence but I noticed that the registration for them say Boyle, Ballinafad , these places are in Roscommon while Cuppanagh in in Sligo.. Does this have any bearing on my problem of locating them??????????????????????
I  appreciate your help so very much and thank you for it.

Bob Degnan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
The registration district of Boyle covers areas in both Co. Roscommon and Co. Sligo - including the townlands of Cuppanagh (Sligo), and several townlands named Annagh  (two in Roscommon, one in Sligo)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bob d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
When a person dies in Ireland especially in the early 20th century where would  the death be registered or recorded?  Would it be the same district as the birth was registered especially if the person  lived in the same area his/her entire life???????