Author Topic: cuppanagh  (Read 7880 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: cuppanagh
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 June 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
that's the problem searching for deaths .... you need to have some idea if these people stayed in the same location all their lives or moved at some stage.

If they stayed in the townland of Cuppanagh, then the correct registration district is Boyle, as per the cert you already have.

Some registration districts cover quite wide area and some, like Boyle, cover parts of more than one county, so the correct deaths may not be easy to locate. You can view a map of the Irish Registration districts at this link

All orders for historic certs should be send to the office in Roscommon - see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

One point to remember is that death certs are not very detailed, so it can sometimes be difficult to confirm if they actually relate to the family you are searching for.

see : Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 June 11 18:44 BST (UK) »
It looks like there were a number of separate Duignan families in the district of Boyle at the same time. E.g. a search for Charles Duignan gives 23 results, a mix of births marriages and deaths.

see : Charles Duignan, BMD references, Boyle

the death references show reported age at death and estimated year of birth, so it should be possible to narrow down the list once you have birth details to check.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bob d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 June 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Shane, The Charles Duignan listed in the BMD Boyle, 1868 is my relative.I have his birth certificate and that is all I can find out about him.  Someone told me he married  a girl whose last name was Queenan but the person was not sure and they had two daughters both of whom came to the USA  but I dont know if there were other children. I went to the Catholic Church in Cloonloo and went through its records but could not find a marriage entry for him. Maybe I should have checked out the church in Boyle ......Since he was the oldest son I presume he inherited the land .  He had two older sisters Catherine( b 1865) and Margaret b (1867) Whether they married or remained single I have no idea....His two younger brothers Peter b.1871 is my grandfather and Pat b.1872 came to and settled in
 Philadelphia.  The parents of these were Charles Duignan and Bridget Duignan nee Dwyer. MY grandfather lived to 85 and his brother Pat lived to almost 90.  I assume that Charles may have lived as long taking him into the 1940s at least..I have looked for his marriage cert as well as his death cert and have hit a roadblock. I was thinking about contacting the Roscommon Registrar Office in Boyle to see if either of these certs are registered.
Have you any suggestions.....And once again many thanks for all you have done,
Bob Degnan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 June 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
The Charles Duignan listed on the 1901 and 1911 census (aghadowey mentioned earlier) would seem to be a close match - but his wife's maiden name appears to be Walsh..  On the 1911 census return the couple are listed as being married 20 years, so c1891, but there doesn't appear to be a good match on the index. I suspect he may be recorded under some variation in spelling... it might be worth further searches of the BMD index to see if he can be located.

The other Charles Duignan marriages in the area seem a little too late for someone born in 1868 - they are in the 1920s

There are a few Queenan marriages in the area around the right time - so the surname was present in the locality - see : Queenan marriages, Boyle district, 1885-1895

The GRO office is in Roscommon town not Boyle and covers certs for all Ireland before 1922.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline bob d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again.  I think that maybe the Elizabeth Queenan listed on the marriages in Boyle may be Charles Duignan's wife only because I believe that one of their daughters was named Elizabeth, the other one was Anna and they both came to the USA and settled in San Francisco.
Where would I find info on the birth  of those girls,certs for birth, baptism,death, emigration info ?
For death certs post 1922 would I contact the registrar in Roscommon town? I have a Greene St, Boyle address for a registrar there. Am I correct to assume that prior to 1922 all certs would come from Roscommon town?
If I called a registrar and gave the person the surname, date of birth, townland,barony and civil parish and poor union would that help me find the death and marriage for Charles Duignan???
I feel with your help that I am getting closer to my hard to find ancestors.  Thanks  once again.
Bob Degnan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
To order certs from the GRO you need to search for the references on  the BMD index. The index include the names, year/quarter, registration district, volume number and page needed to order a cert. To see any other details you need to order a research cert. For details on searching the index and ordering certs see these links :

Introduction to Irish Records
  Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Death Cert
  Details included on a Marriage Cert
  Details included on a Birth Cert

The GRO will do limited searches at an additional cost, but even then you need to give specific details - e.g. a birth of John Murphy between 1905 and 1910, in particular district to father Michael. Remember that the GRO staff only have access to similar BMD Index details as those held by FamilySearch.

All historic certs for the Republic of Ireland can be ordered from the GRO head office, which is in Roscommon town. The GRO Website is at : http://www.groireland.ie/  The Green St address in Boyle, that you mentioned is probably the office for modern registrations - I dont know if they can search historic records.

The best sources for naturalization, immigration and shipping records are in the US - e.g. Ellis Island.

I think a good starting point might be to follow up the two Duignan girls in the USA, to see if you can locate any details on them from Immigration or Census records. e.g. definite names and years of birth. Once you have these you could search the Irish BMD index for possible birth matches. If the correct references can be found for Charles' daughters then the details on the birth certs would show the parents names and where they lived - which could then aid your search for the parents marriage.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
If I called a registrar and gave the person the surname, date of birth, townland,barony and civil parish and poor union would that help me find the death and marriage for Charles Duignan???

the main clues you need to search for a marriage are the name of the groom, and if possible the bride, plus the approximate date and location. Additional details you need for verifying the cert would be father's name and occupation, and sometimes the groom's current place of residence, if known (many people had moved out of the family home by the time they married).

Searches for deaths are difficult since the only clues you can use are the name, possible place of death, year of birth and an estimate as to when they may have died. Marriage and death certs dont include place of birth, and marriages usually just show age as 'full'. Death certs include age at last birthday. This age is not always accurate, and depends on the details the informant (not always a family member) knows.

Shane
My Surname Interests