Author Topic: Grandparent's Wedding Phto, February 1955  (Read 6949 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Grandparent's Wedding Phto, February 1955
« on: Friday 29 April 05 11:19 BST (UK) »
The picture is of my paternal grandparent's wedding in February, 1955. Would someone with the skills be able to make it look a bit newer, and possibly colour it, please? Thanks. ;D

Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Grandparent's Wedding Phto, February 1955
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 05 12:19 BST (UK) »
I think the  beginning tag should be [ i m g ]
The end one[ / i m g ]
(Without any spaces in the brackets.)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 April 05 12:31 BST (UK) »
... and to be sure, copy it to a folder without blanks in the name. Include the file extension too, it should be .jpg or .bmp or .gif

(check out Beginners / How to Use RootsChat / Adding images to Posting & Profiles )

Good Luck !
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 05 23:13 BST (UK) »
The picture is of my paternal grandparent's wedding in February, 1955. Would someone with the skills be able to make it look a bit newer, and possibly colour it, please? Thanks. ;D

Hi X,
    This photo has one obvious problem with the vertical lines that were probably from an older style printer. Is there any chance of getting the original rescanned. This would remove the vertical lines and save a lot of   painstaking brushing.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 05 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi X,
 Untill we can get hold of the original, there's not much more I can do with those vertical lines. I ran a filter called Neat Image which blures out dust and scratches. Also I reduced the size which is an old trick to pull the white noise closer together.

As this file has been reduced to 39.54k it's a bit blocky looking. If you PM me your email address I will send you the bigger file  which looks better

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 00:59 BST (UK) »
Ayone who has looked at this photo being restored might like to see the discussion on RetouchPRO on how to eliminate those  printer stripes.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10466&page=1&pp=15

Deadants

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi deadants

Read with interest your last posting re: retouchpro.com. I have tried a few of the suggestions using PSP, and this is my result.

In short I used Salt & Pepper filter set at 3 & 2 with lower speck size & aggressive action ticked, used freehand lasso on ground area and added Gaussian noise at 35%. A touch of clone and smooth, it not perfect but will it ever?

I tried the same with your colour version, increased the gaussian noise on the floor area, reduced it on the mid section and not touched the sky, then smoothed out all areas. I think that worked well, I dont think most people would notice any lines.

On the lighter side you could say the men are all wearing Pinstripe suits  ;D

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 11:11 BST (UK) »
The people from left to right are -

Great Grandad Henry Smith
Great Grandma Ethel Harling (quite probably the only blonde person in my paternal family)
Great Uncle Frank Eccles
Great Aunt Joyce Eccles (nee Maynard -shes still alive and looks a lot like my grandmother did in her last few years)
Grandad Charles Henry Smith (still alive - hes 75 this year and yet he looks only 60 and has the energy of a 55 year old)
Grandma Elizabeth Irene Maynard (I only knew her for a short time -she died when i was 12 - but she was a very positive, cheerful person)
Great Uncle Joseph Smith (i know very little about him, except that he was born in 1922 and is now dead)
Great Aunt Freda Crichton (nee Smith - she looks like the kind of person who could cheer up almost anyone)
Great Great Grandma Elizabeth Veronica Maynard (nee Clegg - i know little about her, but the saddest thing is that she died on Christmas Day in 1981)
Great Great Great Grandma Mary Ellen Clegg (nee Willis - she looks like a slightly older version of one of my maternal aunts)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk