Author Topic: Marquis family Tarbert  (Read 9584 times)

Offline Mary Veitch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Marquis family Tarbert
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 January 15 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I have been in touch with florabrooks before, way back in 2011 when I first looked at my family tree.  I left it for quite some time but have recently returned to it and made quite a lot of progress.  I realise that many of the gaps may have been stopped in the interval but I have a lot of info that might help.

My maternal great grandmother was Mary McCoag married to Alex Marquis.  My mother's maiden name was Mary McCoag Johnson, following the traditional naming process as second daughter of James Johnson (Springside, Tarbert) and Mary Marquis, she was named after her maternal grandmother.

As first daughter of Duncan MacDougall, (Northlea) and Mary McCoag MacDougall (nee Johnson), ("Mary Bungalow" - aka Torranbeag, Pier Road) I was named after my maternal grandmother, Mary Marquis (MacDougall).  My father was related to the MacDougalls that "Dooker" refers to. (Dooker's closely related to me on my paternal line, I think!)  My paternal great grandmother was Mary Leitch and paternal great grandfather James MacDougall.  The MacDougall side at my generation will be of little interest  to you but the connection to Maria MacEachern, second wife of Alex Marquis and their children links in to the MacDougalls that live now at Duncarrick, Garvel Road, Tarbert.  John MacDougall who lives at Duncarrick is the same generation as me. He is one of four children, he being the eldest.  He has a brother William, sister Jane (deceased) and Rab (I think he's still alive, but perhaps not) John married a girl from Inveraray.  John's mother, Grace, was from Northern Ireland. John's children are around the same age as mine.

I could go on and on.  So many paths crossing or branches sprouting!!!

I'm very new to this site, first time I discovered it today! I might have got it terribly wrong but hopefully you'll get this connection and we can share the gaps.

The picture of Mary McCoag, my great granny, posted by Sharon, looks so like my granny, Mary Marquis.  And the chair in the background looks very familiar!!!!!

Hope I've done this correctly and you get this.  Happy if you want to forward it to Dooker.  I'm intrigued

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 January 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

How exciting with all the connections! Everyone who has posted here should get a message that there is a new post (that is why I have come back on this post now). Hopefully you can make some contacts for this line.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 February 15 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Yes we are related, same Mary Leitch and James Mc Dougall.  Would you be from Sunnycraig.????

Dooker.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 February 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Posting this message on behalf of Mary

Hi Dooker

Yes, that's right - Sunnycraig.  So are you willing to disclose your identity?  There are several lines I can think of.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 February 15 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi May,

This is Una Mc Dougall, Douglas Mc Dougall's sister. You would have know it was a Tarbert person with the Dooker name.!!!! As of yet I have not done much on the McDougall Family tree busy with my mother's side.  There was about 13 of the Leitch family and Mary was the eldest.

Una