Author Topic: Edward Moss  (Read 1432 times)

Offline boydi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Edward Moss
« on: Friday 29 April 05 13:17 BST (UK) »
Have really hit a brick wall and need any help, please.
Edward Moss is my gggrandfather born 1812 or 1813 somewhere in UK I think. Recorded as a tobacconist in Adelaide, Sth Aust, in 1841.  Arrived in Sth Aust in 1839 on Lysander from Liverpool or Abeona from Hobart but obviously had to get to Hobart or Van Diemans Land first. Am quite sure he wasn't a convict but may have been a child of a convict who was sent with mother and family at a later date. Married a Rebecca Bulputt nee Debney in Sth Aust in 1845. I need a birth or baptism with parents names and place, if anyone can help, I can at least research further. Thanks, for any suggestions or help.
Ruth Boyd
Moss/Debney/Bulpitt/Owen/Ovens -Sth Aust from 1838
Urquhart/Harcourt/Harker - Dalkeith, Scotland: Saltia, Pt Augusta Sth Aust, Broken Hill NSW
Doherty - Londonderry, Donegal, Belfast
McLaughlin - Donegal
Foley/Doherty/O'Neill/Moore - Antrim, Clydebank, Coventry, NSW
Dawson - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust.
Kelynack/Love - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust

Offline njh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Moss
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 05 13:24 BST (UK) »
The problem is that there were many Edward Moss's born around 1810-1814.  Do you have any idea of area in the UK - or even a clue to a parent name?

Do you have his fathers name from the marriage certificate - then I could try and search for you.

Offline boydi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Moss
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 05 03:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt reply.
No I don't have anything before 1841 really. Marriage cert shows fathers name unrecorded. He married on 15/11/1945, in Church of Scotland, Adelaide, maybe that could be a clue, age 32, birth 1813, religion as Presbyterian on death cert. He had 4 children, Edward, Emma, Joseph Robert and Frederick.
Joseph Robert named his son Edward which makes me think the original Edward's father may have been an Edward. The Robert part is Edward's wife's fathers name. Hope that all makes sense.
32 is quite late to marry back then and I do have an Edward Moss, wife and 2 children (boy & girl) arriving on the ship Lysander 6/7/1839, departed Liverpool 18/3/1839. Again no wife or childrens names so unable to check if there is a connection.
That's about it really, so not sure if any of that is of a help.
Thanks,
Ruth
Moss/Debney/Bulpitt/Owen/Ovens -Sth Aust from 1838
Urquhart/Harcourt/Harker - Dalkeith, Scotland: Saltia, Pt Augusta Sth Aust, Broken Hill NSW
Doherty - Londonderry, Donegal, Belfast
McLaughlin - Donegal
Foley/Doherty/O'Neill/Moore - Antrim, Clydebank, Coventry, NSW
Dawson - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust.
Kelynack/Love - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust