Author Topic: Ford Cemetery - Liverpool  (Read 34668 times)

Offline Malmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ford Cemetery - Liverpool
« on: Saturday 18 June 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
Will some kind person point me in the right direction. Looking for grave AS 495. Spent 3 days looking for gravestone of family member with no luck. Able to locate the AS area on map and have searched it. Found AS 500 & AS 494. Is there a map available with grave location. Looks like there is no grave stone and would like to put one on but need to locate the site. Any help welcomed. Regards Malcolm MAckenzie
Mackenzie (Liverpool & Caithness), Crook (Liverpool), Finn (Dublin), Meehan (Liverpool), McKenzie (Caithness), McGee (Liverpool), Boardman (Liverpool), Vernon (Liverpool), Wood (Liverpool), Baldwin (Warwickshire & Birmingham)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Cemetery - Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 June 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would contact the cemetery itself and ask them, also you would probably need to ask them who has the rights to the grave as you may need their permission to erect a grave stone.

Andy

Offline Malmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 11 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thanx Andy, this is all new to me. There is no warden at the Ford, so think I will have to get in touch with Liverpool county council and seek advice
Mackenzie (Liverpool & Caithness), Crook (Liverpool), Finn (Dublin), Meehan (Liverpool), McKenzie (Caithness), McGee (Liverpool), Boardman (Liverpool), Vernon (Liverpool), Wood (Liverpool), Baldwin (Warwickshire & Birmingham)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ford Cemetery is a Catholic Cemetery and may not be the responsibility of the council,

I would ring the Catholic Archdiocese on the number on the link below

http://www.liverpoolhome.com/Merseyside_Cemeteries/catholic_archdiocese_of_liverpool_cemeteries.htm

Andy

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Ford Cemetery does have a webiste, which is so confusing to use that I gave up and I know that I have some relatives there!

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 June 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
Will some kind person point me in the right direction. Looking for grave AS 495. Spent 3 days looking for gravestone of family member with no luck. Able to locate the AS area on map and have searched it. Found AS 500 & AS 494. Is there a map available with grave location. Looks like there is no grave stone and would like to put one on but need to locate the site. Any help welcomed. Regards Malcolm MAckenzie

If you live on Merseyside,   visit  a gravestone and monumental mason showroom, preferably one in Litherland or Seaforth,   and ask them for guidance.    They probably have a detailed site plan of the cemetery.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 June 11 15:57 BST (UK) »

Ask any staff at the cemetery for guidance  and directions.

Second option:    Some headstones may have the section/plot number  marked in small letters on the back of the stone.  Look on the stones  nearby for  their plot number and you may be able to deduce from that where your  As 495 actually is.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline littleacornz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 04:32 BST (UK) »
I went in search of my grandmothers grave at Ford, this was about 4 years ago.
Outside (at the time) was a notice board with a phone number.  I think it is manned Mon-Fri.
I called them they gave me lots of information about the grave including the names of people I had no idea were buried alongside my nanny.
If you call them they may be able to advise when a groundsman or member of staff will be on the site.
My own nan was also buried in AS, it took us a while too, in parts there appeared to be a pattern but in others it was quite random.

Offline fleetchief

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
this may be of help:-
Contact Name: Sandra Brennan.
E-mail address: s.brennan@rcaol.co.uk
Sandra is in the Ford Cemetry office and may be able to check the record for you. If there is no Memorial and you wish to erect one then you must determine who is the owner of the grave or burial plot. This may not be so difficult as it sounds if you are an only surviving relative of the deceased. To erect a new memorial you will have to obtain a 'Right of Burial' form from the cemetery, complete it and pay £100:00 as a 'cemetery fee'.
Have just been and going through the exercise myself.
Hope this helps,
Best of Luck

13/9/2011
just to add, everything went well, help from S.Brennan & M.Gornall at cemetery office was excellent and stonemasons able to erect replecement stone without any problem. Hope all goes well for you.