Author Topic: Holmes Family Mayfield  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holmes Family Mayfield
« on: Saturday 18 June 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on the Holmes family of Mayfield. The SFHG records appear to have a gap between 1740 and 1759 hence the enquiry.

My particular interest is with Agnes Holmes born 1750, died 1821 and who was married to William Baldock in 1773.

The only possible connections I have found are for possible brothers, namely John Holmes 1759-1808 who married Mary Medhurst in 1784 and Joseph who married Elizabeth Kills in 1782, no details of birth or death.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes Family Mayfield
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 June 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
A few titbits on the names you mentioned:

In the 1785 East Sussex Land Tax there is a William Baldock who lives and owns 'late Mrs Peaches' in Wadhurst .

Joseph Holmes & Wife Elizabeth had an order removing them from East Grinstead to Newbury Berkshire quashed by JPs at the Lewes Sessions 9 Oct 1788. There is an editors note with this stating Joseph of the Berkshire Militia married Elizabeth Kills in 1782 at Mayfield.

There is a coroners record for Joseph Holmes East Grinstead 23 Nov 1829.

Might be something in that.
Think Kerryb had some stuff on Mayfield, hopefully she will see this soon.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 11 20:50 BST (UK) »
A couple of other things from the SMI

A licence was given for the marriage on 19th May 1773 Agnes Holme 22+ of Mayfield, William Baldock 30+ of the same parish.

Having upgraded to Windows 7 I can no longer see the Help file which made clear the abbreviations so if anyone has them William Baldock has [qv] next to him on his marriage record on 12th May 1773.

The reverse look up yields the following info that William was a yeoman and the witness for the marriage were W.B. and Harben Thos.

An ancestry tree suggests that William died before 1780 and Agnes married again to Benjamin Newnham also a yeoman 25+ from Fletching, licence issued 1 Nov 1780, marriage 23 Nov in Fletching. Agnes Baldock is remarked upon as a widow so this could fit in.
Witnesses BN and Edward Denham.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
I actually can't see where William Baldock has qv next to his name  ( really don't know why)

However,  under abbreviations it has qv  quod vide (which see)

Hope that answers your query about qv   :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 11 21:48 BST (UK) »
A licence was given for the marriage on 19th May 1773 Agnes Holme 22+ of Mayfield, William Baldock 30+ of the same parish.

Having upgraded to Windows 7 I can no longer see the Help file which made clear the abbreviations so if anyone has them William Baldock has [qv] next to him on his marriage record on 12th May 1773.

The reverse look up yields the following info that William was a yeoman and the witness for the marriage were W.B. and Harben Thos.

Odd that the licence is dated after the marriage. I wonder if the date of the marriage is really that of a banns entry - the banns then for some reason being forbad thus necessitating the licence. (Pure speculation - I've no real idea.)

My source for the marriage in Mayfield doesn't help with the meaning of "qv", but it does seem to diverge from the SMI. It notes that Agnes has the surname HOLMES in the BT; both parties signed; no mention of William being a yeoman; witnesses were Edward Dodswell and Elizabeth Dodswell. Apart from that it agrees with the SMI.

The couple seem to have had a few children baptised at Mayfield - Fanny, William, Edward Holmes and Thomas. The last one is interesting - it is dated 2 April 1780 and the register reads "Thomas the son of William Baldock lately deceased and Agnes his wife".

An ancestry tree suggests that William died before 1780 ...

There is a burial dated 30 September 1779 - "William Baldock farmer".

Source: Beverly Roth's transcript of Mayfield registers published by the PRTS.

HTH,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 June 11 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

I have the St Dunstans,Mayfield,PRs Cd

I looked for Agnes from 1749 to 1752,she does`nt appear to have been Baptised there.

I also looked from 1740 for any Holmes baptisums.The 1st to appear was 1784.A Mary daughter of John & Mary.

Not much help,sorry

omega

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 June 11 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for your replys.

Edward Holmes Baldock became quite an influential character and there are quite a few interesting articles on the Internet about him. One in the National Archives confirms many of the details above.

The Baldock family were the owners of Huggetts Furnace Farm in Mayfield and Benjamin Newnham, Agnes's second husband who she married in 1780 the year after William's death, farmed the property until his death in 1808. Strangely the article refers to Agnes's husband as Thomas not William. Agnes outlived Benjamin and died in 1821 but there is no further mention of the farm in the Baldock family so I assume it was sold and the proceeds split between the 4 Baldock children and their 6 Newnham sibblings.

Thanks again for all the replies.