Author Topic: Stones families of Fearboy, 1847 - 1901  (Read 19991 times)

Offline tucson mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stones families of Fearboy, 1847 - 1901
« on: Sunday 19 June 11 05:43 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in the townland of Fearboy in Co. Offaly. This is in the civil parish of Kilcumreragh, while its RC parish is Tubber and Rosemount, whose church is in Co. Westmeath.

In 1847 or so Griffith's Valuation lists about two dozen families in Fearboy. Three are named "Stones" and are headed by Thomas, John, and James.

In 1880 my GGF Patrick Stones was a farmer in Offaly, per his daughter's birth certificate. He married Ellen Maguire in Tubber & Rosemount in 1879, and his daughter Mary Anne was baptized there the following year. He seems to have passed away in 1899, and his daughter emigrated to the US the same year.

In 1901 the census of Ireland lists a Patrick Stones and his wife Marcella as living in Fearboy.

The two Patricks may have lived in Fearboy at the same time, but I have no idea how they were related to each other or to the three families listed in Griffith's. I'd appreciate any help with this puzzle. Thanks.
Ireland:
Down & Antrim: Crilly, Patterson, O'Kane, McGrath
Westmeath & Offaly (Fearboy): Stones & Maguire
Waterford: Anna Cleary, born about 1862, emigrated to US before 1880.
England:
Liverpool: Fogarty & Patterson, 1906.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stones families of Fearboy, 1847 - 1901
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
I was in Durrow cemetery today (just outside Tulamore) and came across this headstone.
Jack

Offline tucson mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 06:22 BST (UK) »
Jack,

Thanks for the photo.

Unfortunately, whether due to my computer monitor or my ageing eyes, I can't read the writing on the headstone. If you have a higher resolution file, please mail it to me at: *

Thanks again and best wishes.

Mike Carroll

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Ireland:
England:

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
The Stone reads;

John Stones; 13/8/1838 (50)
Annie Stones; 27/6/1914 (82)
Patrick Stones; 3/7/1914 (?)
John Black; 3/1/1929 (60)
son-James; 19/7/1920 (21)
Honor Black; 19/1/1940 (66)
===========
Jack

Offline tucson mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, it's the Stones' stone, isn't it!

Thanks very much for the transcription and the photo. I'll have to check & see if that matches anyone I know about.

Mike Carroll
Ireland:
England:

Offline Pete Millington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 August 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike, I'm new on Rootschat and saw your post and the thread with interest. My mother-in-law is a Catherine nee. Stone (Stones and Stone being variants in the same family) whose ancestors lived at Lurgan near Tullamore/Moate. She still lives at Tubber near the church on Clara Road. My wife and I are in Birmingham UK but often visit - indeed we were over in August. With the name Stone having English derivation, the story is that the original Stone in Offaly may have been a Cromwellian soldier who was given land. Cromwell apparently stopped at the castle in Moate on his tour of the Irish Midlands. I would be surprised if all the Stone/s families in the area weren't connected back to this person but am yet to make progress beyond the mid 1800s. Would be interested in continuing the dialogue if you think there is common ground.

Offline tucson mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 September 13 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

I had wondered about the "Stones" surname, as not sounding Irish to me, unlike say my mother's maiden name "Fogarty." So the story of the Cromwellian soldier sounds plausible. I have not made progress beyond the mid 1800s either, however. I'll send you a Private Message (PM) with my email address so we may correspond further if you like.
Ireland:
England:

Offline Pete Millington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 September 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
I've written my research into a PDF document and posted it to Calameo. there is duplication in parts of it and it needs a bit of editing and proof reading, but it gives a comprehensive overview of where I'm at. Paying the family history centre at Tullamore 80 euros helped me get a wealth of old church records from Tubber church: 

http://en.calameo.com/read/000675467c4471b7112df

Offline Pete Millington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 September 13 10:31 BST (UK) »
Its really interesting, I just looked at Fearboy on a map and its no distance from Lurgan, Moate, Tubber, etc. In fact it seems to be right by where my wife's cousin TJ Kelly still has a large farm. TJ's mother was Anne Stone born at Lurgan. His brother Cormac Kelly still farms Lurgan. Re: the English connection, its one of those subjects local people don't talk about much and perhaps we can understand why. Following Irish independence in the 1920s I get the feeling most traces of English colonial heritage were swept quickly under the carpet. But having said this, my impression is that even if the Stone surname was English from the 1650s, the family were hard working people scraping a living on the land, they married Irish families and have been Catholic and 100% Irish for generations. My mother-in-law will make occasional references to the ancestral line going back to a Cromwellian soldier but has no information to substantiate this. I often wonder if there are records of soldiers being granted land. Moate was a Quaker dominated town in the 1700s, so that might also be worth exploring.