Author Topic: Penang: Christopher A McIntyre, Jane Alice Stewart  (Read 7560 times)

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Penang: Christopher A McIntyre, Jane Alice Stewart
« on: Sunday 19 June 11 08:53 BST (UK) »
Looking for information about Christopher A McINTYRE, b est 1853, possibly in Penang, suspect other McINTYREs in the area were related.

Clerk at Boustead & Co. in Penang in 1870s, partner with F(rederick?) STEWART, STEWART McINTYRE, land & commission agents & appraisers in 1900. F Stewart was likely his brother-in-law. Don't know if STEWART McINTYRE, engineers in Singapore is affiliated

Wife, Jane Alice (STEWART), d Jan 1891, is buried in Penang RC Cemetery. Believe he remarried before 1895. Christopher & Jane had 8 children, 5 girls, 3 boys incl Hannah, Hilda, Edith Charlotte Regina, Colin Adair and possibly Frederick Stewart.

Any information or suggestions would be wonderful, you may see something I've overlooked.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline green grass home

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penang: Christopher A McIntyre, Jane Alice Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 12 22:36 BST (UK) »
could frederick stewart mcintyre  be my grandfather he was frererick s mcintyre dont know what s stands for he died in 1939 buried in bidadari cemertery was a manager of a tin mine married to dorothy may who died in 1937 buried in bidadari

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 05:32 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this F S McINTYRE is part of my family but I was investigating the possibility however there isn't much to go on yet...

The Frederick S McINTYRE I was following worked at Lahat Mines, Ipoh and his wife, Dora May died 11 May 1937 in the General Hospital in Singapore after a short illness. Most of what I have about this particular Fred is from newspaper clippings. 

Do you know anything more about them? Or their families? I haven't had much time to work on my family research in the past several months so will have to go back and do some digging. I had fragments of info I was trying to piece together.

Maybe by putting our heads together we can discover some of those connections.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 06:11 BST (UK) »
Here is Dorothy's death notice:

DEATH OF MRS. F. S. MCINTYRE

Mrs. Dorothy McIntyre, wife of Mr. F. S. McIntyre of Singapore passed away at the General Hospital, Singapore, on Tuesday night at the age of 51 years.

The funeral took place at the Bidadarl Cemetery yesterday afternoon preceded by a Choral Service at the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd and it was largely attended.

The Rev. Father Gauthier officiated.

Wreaths were received from the following:

Sorrowing husband Ed, Sorrowing children Girlie, Mary, Nellie and George, Sorrowing grand-children, Cliffy, Jerry, Doris and Freddy. Beloved sister Madame St. Norvert. Your loving Gal, Siddie, Ida, and Ted Bowerman, Leo and Winnie, Maudie, Marshall and children, Hilda and children. Mr. and Mrs. H. Dandie. Winnie and Charles, Dr. and Mrs. A. K. Hock, Dr. D. P. McIntyre and the Misses McIntyre.

Source: The Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884-1942), 14 May 1937, Page 11

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 06:23 BST (UK) »
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

Mr. Frederick Stewart McIntyre of Lahat Mines, Ipoh and family beg to thank all friends and relatives and the Rev. Mother Superior and Sisters of the Convent of the Holy Jesus for their attendance at the funeral and those who sent wreaths and telegrams of condolence of the late Dora May McIntyre who died at the General Hospital on May 11 after a short illness.

Source: The Straits Times, 14 May 1937, Page 2

Offline green grass home

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi chris this is my granddad i only just found the cliping og grand ma obituary few weeks ago after a long search on and off for several years fred was the second husband of dorothy may he adopted 2 children girly .mary. nellie (this is my mum who i know as netty )and had 2 children with grandma netty and sandy loads more to tell you if we are related can you send me what you have found and we will put our heads to gether vicky

Offline green grass home

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 09:52 BST (UK) »
forgot to mention have been to singapore few times once with my dear mum for 4weeks then in 1997 when mum passed away took her ashes home and scattered them on her parents grave in bidadari  went one more time before it was built on lots of photos and just a few weeks ago booked my trip of a life time to singapore including kula lumpur and penang going to include ipoh latat and seremban for a holiday but also to some research on my family tree they dont email you from singapore for b m d
i dont know if you are based in singapore or uk ect look forward to hearing from you kind regards vicky

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky

I'm in Canada. I'm envious that you've been able to visit personally, I am so far away! I'll PM you so we can compare some notes offline.

Do you know F S Stewart's death date/place? Or any other details about him?

J

Offline green grass home

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
fredrick died 1939 not got a date my mum told me he died 2 years after granma they didnt have time to put his name on the headstone they made a make shift one
he used to be called ed a nickname i think i will send you info that i have wrote its like a mina bio of what i can remember  i sent it to a lady in singapore but never got a reply  speak soon vicky