Author Topic: Penang: Christopher A McIntyre, Jane Alice Stewart  (Read 7064 times)

Offline green grass home

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penang: Christopher A McIntyre, Jane Alice Stewart
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 20:55 BST (UK) »
have sent you message but it wont take it i think it wants an email address and i know we have to be careful vicky

Offline AudreyLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Colin Adair McIntyre was my mother's godfather. My mum's dad was Donald Thomas McIntyre but I'm not sure how he's related to Colin.  I'm guessing they were cousins. Donald's dad was Francis McIntyre.  Mum's godmother was Vivianna Valerie McIntyre (nee de'Oliveiro). Have you unearthed any more information on Colin and family? Thanks in advance
McIntyre, de'Oliveiro, Oliveiro

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey

I haven't had any luck following Colin. He and Vivianna married about 29 Jan 1917. Vivianna married Leslie C Perkins in 1923 so assume that Colin had passed away prior. Had no luck verifying that. No luck following Vivianna after she remarried either.

I've run into a couple references to a Frank McIntyre but wasn't able to place him within the family. I suspected he may have been Colin's unidentified brother's son or some other relative.

Partial newspaper notice about Colin and Vivianna's marriage:
Church of the Assumption by Rev L M Duvelle. Bride given away by uncle, H S Balhechet. Bridesmaid: Ivy Balbechet, Best man: W Balbechet. Flower girls: Miss Florence, Miss Florry Eckersall, page boy Master Frank McIntyre.
Source: Singapore Free Press, 29 Jan 1917, page 10

I've followed a lot of the local families trying to identify my great grandmother, Edith Charlotte Regina McIntyre's family and been able to identify 5/7 siblings. No luck with her sister, Hannah, or an unidentified brother. I would love to know more about your family re: timelines/locations to try to make sense of it. Who was your mom's mom? Where did they live?

Look forward to seeing if we can figure anything out.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline AudreyLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there, thanks so much for your quick response.  I appreciate the information.  I have only just started researching my family tree so I don't have much information yet. 
Based on the information I found on Geni.com, I can see that your ggm Edith is the daughter of Christopher A. McIntyre.
Christopher's brother is Francis McIntyre who is my ggf. I am still not able to find the name of Francis' wife. 
Francis' son is Donald McIntyre, my grandfather.
The Frank McIntyre who served as the pageboy at Colin's and Vivianna's wedding was most likely my mum's brother.  I know that mum had a brother named Frank who was supposedly taken away by the Japanese during the war.  Frank is the son of Colin's cousin (Donald, my gf).
The Church of the Assumption and Rev Fr L M Duvelle appear many times throughout the newspapers of that era.  It must have been the go-to church for the Penang Eurasians.
Fr Duvelle baptised my mum, and Colin and Viv were her godparents.
I am still not able to trace my mum's side, but I know that her mum's maiden name was de'Oliveiro.  The spelling is not consistent throughout the records. 
Colin's wife Vivianna was formerly a de'Oliveiro.  I wonder if she was related to my mum's family.  They probably were.
That's all I have for now.  I have updated some information on Geni.com.  If you search Donald Thomas McIntyre, you can see my family.
May I know your name and where you are residing? I live in Singapore.  My mum and her sister moved down here from Penang probably sometime in the 1930s.
Do let me know if you come across any new and interesting finds; I'll do likewise.
Thanks again and have a good day!

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 September 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Aubrey

I think that Christopher A. McIntyre's brother, Francis' full name "may have been" Francis Donald McIntyre. With your gf being named Donald McIntyre, it is even more likely.

He shows up on the 1904 Penang Jurors List [Francis Donald McIntyre, conveyancer; Anson Road.]. He also shows up in the 1900 Singapore & Malaya Directory [F D McIntyre, Conveyancer, Supreme Court. 125 Supreme Court]. I will have to dig to see if I can find him in more, but not at first glance.

When I searched in Geni.com, I couldn't find a Donald Thomas McIntyre so was not able to find out more about your family.

I live in Canada.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline AudreyLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 September 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi J (sorry, i don't know your name)

Yes, i agree with you.  I did see the reference to Francis Donald McIntyre and had the same impression as you that he's my GF's dad.  I have seen the 1904 Penang Jurors list.  I reckon it has to be the same person. 

But there's really no mention of his wife anywhere.

I'll update you if I find any more information of my family.

Have a great weekend!

Audrey

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 September 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey

I sent you a personal message.

J

Offline AudreyLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 02:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much.  Sorry that i didn't check my correspondence for the last few days.  It's been busy.  I will get on it soon.  Thanks again