Author Topic: Hambridge family from ireland to england  (Read 11958 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Hambridge family from ireland to england
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 June 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
We've found his marriage in Nuneaton to Sarah Ann Thompson and his son William's birth,if you use free bmd as I suggested you will see that they had many more children from 1911 onwards in various places between Northamptonshire and Brentford.

Put in the surname Hambridge and then the mothers name of Thompson.
Click on the births index.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 June 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
i was told that my great grandad william hambridge camed from ireland some where in or around tipperary

If you are absolutely certain that William did come from Ireland, I suggest you look on the 1901/1911 Ireland census.  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ I had a quick look, but couldn't see a suitable William Hambridge.  Of course, that could just mean that he wasn't indexed for some reason or because he was already over in England.

However, I wouldn't disregard the William and Sarah Ann that I found on the 1911 census (and I'm not saying this just because I found them  ;) )  There are so many coincedences about them, that I think it is worth keeping them on the back burner.  I don't know whether you looked at the census image for the family, but 2 of the children have a name which is very suggestive of a Hambridge/Thompson union.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 June 11 18:43 BST (UK) »
i have just one question to ask you the names that you have given me would they be brothers or sisters to william hambridge or childen of sarah and william hambridge

In my first post, I gave the transcription for the 1901 census which might possibly be William and his brothers and sisters.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 June 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
I don't think William Hambridge was from Ireland (as per 1901 census) but perhaps he went to Ireland. There are very few Hambridge entries in the civil registration index but there is a death for a William Hambridge-
Apr./June 1923 (age 40) Dublin South registration district volume 2 page 332.

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 00:56 BST (UK) »
Kirsty -

I have been researching my mothers side of the family (Hambridge) off and on (more off than on) for many years now. from my research and other information the majority of the Hambridge clan/ family/ kin  were from / came from Yeovil, Somerset county, England and were involved in the Glove business. 

If you want, or would like, to share your Hambridge information let me know via a PM.     

Thanks.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 11:02 BST (UK) »
hi there my grandad name was joseph samuel hambridge i looked up on ancestry search and found out that he was born in wharf branston 1915 and i also saw he had a brother that was born in wharf branston 1913 i rember seeing a photo of my grandad and he's brother and father but i did not no there names but they was very tall man my great grandad william was about 6 foot tall and my grandad and he's brother william hambridge about the same. i was told by family that my grandad side of the family and my nan hannah walker side of the family use to travel up and down the canal deliver coal from birmingham or branston to brentford. i was told by my mum that my great grandad william went to live in ealing middlesex and i was told by my sister that my great grandadwilliam hambridge camed from tipperary in ireland or some where near or round that area i really dont no what happen to my great nan sarah ann thompson and i would love to no and i dont no where she camed from but what i do no is my grandad joseph samuel hambridge and hannah walker lived in brentford and went on to have 3 boys and 2 girls one of the boys died as a baby and there childrens names are * one of the baby names who died as a baby and * and my mum *. i do not no if my grandad had any more brothers or sisters only william hambridge that i no of but it would be nice to find out if there is any more family out there and to no what happen and that is why i am doing this search. :) i really do hope this is the info that you need as this is all i no about my family and i hope to here from you soon  :D

Moderator's Comment: recent family details removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty -

I can trace my Hambridge line back to the late 1790s. I don't have my Hambridge files with me today but to the best of my recollection ....

Henry Hambridge who married a Sarah (last name unknown) in 1787. They had several children in Yeovil.  One child, Charles,  married a Susan Willmont (or various spellings).  They had several children one who was also named Charles Harry Hambridge. He married Caroline Ricks in Worcester, England. They had 8 children of which only one (Caroline ... their  first) was born in Worcester, Engand. One of the sons was named William but he was born in the United States. The family traveled between New York and England for many years.         

There was an Ellen Hambridge (don't know her maiden name) who married into the Hambridge family that  was from Cork, Ireland. If memory serves she was listed as a widow in the 1891 Yeovil census.  She had a couple of children ... Harry/Henry and I can't recall the other names.

yn9man

Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Offline cynpacia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 July 12 21:36 BST (UK) »
I'm probably from a different Hambridge line, but I have done research on the Hambridge family I am related to. 

I don't see much of an Ireland connection.  Most of my family is from Yeovil and bounce around between New York state (mostly Buffalo or Fultonville) or London.

Here is what I have for my family:

Henry Charles Hambridge (1829 - 1915)  married Caroline Ricks
their son Charles Henry Hambridge (1859 - 1911) married Jane Cole
their son Douglas Alfred Hambridge (1891 - 1953) married Minnie Quirk (of Ireland)
their son Douglas Charles Hambridge, Sr. (1915 - 1991) is my grandfather (born Bufflalo, NY)

Additionally I know that:

Henry Charles and Caroline Hambridge had a son named William James (born 1862, died 1941)

Charles Henry and Jane Hambridge had a son named Henry "Harry" (born 1888) and William Edward (born 1900- deceased 1963)

What I have seems similar to yn9man but is different. 

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 December 12 22:36 GMT (UK) »
cynpacia -

My grandfather Frederick Herbert HAMBRIDGE (born 1892 England and died on his 65th birthday 1957 in California) was a younger brother of Douglas Albert (your great grandfather).

Charles Henry HAMBRIDGE and Jane COLE had 10 children - Charles Henry (aka Harry), Douglas Albert, Ernest (Herbert?), Frederick Herbert, Lillian, Florence Jane, Violet Henrietta & Edith Maude (twins), William Edward and Norman Frank.  Ernest and Lillian died of black diphtheria.

Henry Charles married Caroline RICKS in July 1852. Some of their children were Caroline Jane (born 1853 in England), Lucy Isabel (born 1857 in New York), Charles Henry (born 1859 in New York), Albert George (born 1860 in New York) William James (born 1862 in New York), Herbert Eugene (born 1866 in New York), Frederick H (born 1867 in New York), and Minnie May (born ? in ?).

Please let me know if you want to exchange information.

yn9man