Author Topic: Shreads of Hinckley  (Read 3381 times)

Offline stevebereal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shreads of Hinckley
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 July 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike - the 'black sheep' of the family then! Oh dear.
Hard labour sounds terrible. Which is the likely prison for him to have gone to in the area?
Great website - learned so much.
Best wishes
Steve

Offline 19JSHREAD97

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, I know this is an old post but any replied would be appreciated, especially from you Stevebereal. I am a Shread and have traced my ancestry so far to Thomas Shred & Mary Maunton of Allesley (I have hit a dead end). I haven't come across any Hinckley/Leicester connection, but the Shreads (also on some records as Sreads) are spread throughout Warwickshire/Staffordshire. I would like to share what I have and work with whoever wants to know more. Perhaps we can get some breakthroughs.
I have a whole family tree on Ancestry.co.uk ( https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/114784364/family/familyview?cfpid=342230057003 ), so have a look and perhaps drop a message on there.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
I havent looked at your Tree and am not related to this Family but you may already know Thomas married twice in Allesley;
17 Nov 1754 to Mary BAXTER and 18 Sep 1764 to Mary MAUNTON (both widowed)
Children were;
Bapts
Daniel 1755
Mary 1757
Sarah*/Elizabeth* 1760 (twins)
*Elizabeth buried 28 Dec 1760
* Sarah 19 May 1762
Then;
William 1765
Thomas 1768
Joseph 1772 buried 08 Nov 1781
Elizabeth 1776 buried 24 May 1776

Ist Wife Mary buried 22 Dec 1760
2nd Wife Mary buried 26 Jan 1783 and Thomas himself 30 Mar 1795, no ages given.

As you say Thomas is hard to pin down before that in Warwickshire or any other County.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
Marriage;
Mary SOMMERFIELD
William MAUNTON
10 Jan 1763 All Saints, Allesley

Burial 18 Mar 1764 same church, William Maunton

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline 19JSHREAD97

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 14:37 BST (UK) »
Firstly, I would like to say thank you Trish. It's quite an old post and I didn't think anyone would reply. I had Thomas, Daniel, Joseph, and the twins Elizabeth and Sarah. But I didnt realise Thomas Snr had married twice (I only had Mary Maunton), there was more children and they had different parents! So thank you for that information. But, just to be clear, you're saying Mary Maunton is a widow, with the actual maiden name Sommerfield?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 April 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
Yes I think that likely as Mary Maunton was a Widow when she married Thos Shred (he was Widowed also)

I then looked for a Burial of a Maunton a few years before that Marriage and found a William Maunton buried 1764

That lead me the William Maunton/Mary Sommerfield marriage 1763
That William/Mary Maunton look to have bapt 1 child WILLIAM 29 Aug 1763

1st Wife Mary nee Baxter was buried 22 Dec 1760, note on record, Wife of Thomas.

Thats why I I put a gap when noting Bapts of Thomas's children as the Mothers were two different Marys.

All the info is on FreeREG so have a look and see if you agree.
www.freereg.org.uk

As you said name is spelt Shard/Shred on the 2 Marriages of Thomas
FreeREG has a soundex option.

Trish :)