Author Topic: Northern Travellers (Burnside, Morrison and Stewart.... help please  (Read 30055 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Travellers (Burnside, Morrison and Stewart.... help please
« Reply #36 on: Friday 01 May 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help find the birth of Margaret Stewart b 1843c England ? parents Alexander Stewart and Alice Torrence, they were travellers so maybe the birth wasn't registered.she married charles rutherford who was the son of esther faa blythe.i can only find 3 kids for them aswell and i am sure there were more.any help greatly appreciated.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline LOLLY4JAC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 18:22 BST (UK) »
HI THERE IS ANY ONE RELATED TO THESE FOLK MY GRANPARENTS GREATGREAT GRANPARENTS  THE  NAMES ARE HENRY BURNSIDE BORN KIRBY 1825  HANNAH BURNSIDE LIVED HENRITTA ST WHITBY BORN FEREBY LINCON 1828 MAIDEN NAME CD BE CUNNINGHAM /WILLAM BURNSIDE BORN KIRBY MILLS 1852 MABEL BURNSIDE 1866  CHRISTIANA BURNSIDE BORN1907 DIED 1940 THIS WAS MY GRANMA  ANY ONE WHO MAY BE FAMILY PLEASE HELP WE HAVE BEEN TO KIRBY TO VISIT SOME FAMILY GRAVES ARE FAMILY ARE OLD TRAVELLERS ALL HAWKERS

Offline LOLLY4JAC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 18:31 BST (UK) »
BURNSIDE FAMILY WERE ALSO BAILEY FAMILY FROM KIRBY / WHITBY AND DURHAM SCOTLAND  AND LINCON  YORK RIPON LEEDS

Offline Steve Knight

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 28 November 19 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Good evening guys,

I am currently writing a historical fiction novel in which a group nicknamed the Burnplatters also known as 'Duediz' feature heavily. They at one time dwelled on the 'Burnt Platts' at Worsell now known as Worts Hill at Pole Moor in Scammonden on the border of Yorkshire and Lancashire. I do know they would move around the Marsden Moor estate at the time, probably because the estates in the Worsell area were owned by the Earl of Dartmouth. On the Huddersfield Exposed Website, it seems that someone had been also researching the same thing. I've emailed the person that runs the website and he is unable to corroborate whether the Burnsides' really were the family that dwelled on the Burnt Platts.

I first stumbled across the group when reading the D.F.E. Sykes novel 'Miriam - A Tale of Pole and the Greenfield Hills.' What I will say is, if it is true, (which I think it is.) I am sure they were not the only family that were living on the Platts at that time. Other names I have come across that were possibly residing there were Sykes, Armitage, Parkin, Pearson, Sugden and Shaw (mostly typical Yorkshire surnames). The Scot heritage seems to fit with the Burnsides, Morrison and Stewart; names of more Scottish heritage. Another reference to 'Duediz' is a rumour that these families were former Jacobite militiamen of Bonny Prince Charles, and they took refuge in the wilderness following the abandonment of the Jacobite cause and his flight from the front lines. The fact that the platters were travellers and were 'hawking' and pushing wares seems to fit with other references I have come across which points towards these being the real Burnplatters. I am very excited at the potential of finding the peoples that actually dwelled on the Burnt Platts in their stone and mud hovels thatched with sods. The following is the link directly to the location of Burnt Platts as referenced on Huddersfield Exposed. https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/Burnt_Platts,_Slaithwaite

I would love to get into contact with any Burnside, Morrison, Stewart, Shaw, Sugden or anyone else for that matter with any information, family folk tales of old about these families that would dwell on the Burnt Platts. Any help would be absolutely brilliant!

Thanks

Steve