Author Topic: Pollock - Immigration money?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Gray865

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pollock - Immigration money?
« on: Tuesday 21 June 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
Can anyone through any light on Alexander Pollock who emigrated to Canada in 1926 arriving in Montreal on the Montrose and had with him a large sum of money. This may have been his second trip to Canada.  He may have been a gold prospector. Alexander was born 13/4/1877 in Renfrewshire, Scotland and died in Chilliwack, British Columbia January 1946.  He arrived in Canada a bachelor-did he marry and have a family. Why did he need all this money?   I would appreciate any help.

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pollock - Immigration money?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Wow that is a large sum of money for that time period. The manifest says he was in Canada from 1911-1924, landed immigrant. He is a farmer, going to Calgary Alberta.

Did any family member die in Scotland around that time? I was thinking maybe its an inheritance. I can't think of a reason why, other than that, that a farmer would have such a large sum of money.

Cordially,
Lisa

Offline Gray865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
I deliberately didn't state the actual sum - was it in pounds or dollars? The details I viewed were in very small print!  No family member had died around that time. I'm almost sure that I've also seen a record of Alexander going out to Canada either 1911 or 1913.  What records were you viewing of Alexander?  Are they any records of where he would be working?  Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
There is a passenger list entry for Alex Pollock on the Hesperian which arrived in Quebec on 8 Oct 1911. He was on the same ticket as Andrew McDougall. He was destined for Calgary then as well.

And regarding the 1926 passenger list, the amount had a dollar sign, not a pound sign.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
there is an entry for an Alex Pollock aboard the Empress of Britain June 1913, but he has a rather large family that appear to all be born in Scotland. He is headed for Calgary Alberta, he is a returning Canadian, a farmer. The manifest is a little confusing it asks if you have been in Canada before which he says yes, when 1907, where BC? (British Columbia), how long 1 yr.

Lisa