Author Topic: 1841 /51/61 census lookup, William VINE  (Read 3465 times)

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 /51/61 census lookup, William VINE
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 June 06 20:01 BST (UK) »
here are your henleys in 1851-
living at 31 guildford street
brighton
john henley 40yrs tailor
esther 31yrs wife
esther 12yrs daughter
john 6yrs son
francis 4yrs son
cornelious hilton 21yrs visitor tailor
SOURCE INFO-H0107-1645
FOLIO-698
PAGE-3
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 /51/61 census lookup, William VINE
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 08:34 BST (UK) »
many thanks, alli -- I now have quite a lot of information about them (including the subsequent emigration of John Henley junior to New Zealand in 1874).

Focus now on trying to locate some paintings and documents - especially the original of a portrait of Esther Vine (who married John henley) and of her father William; also a watercolour painting of William Vine's mill done by son-in-law Henry Bodle in 1843. I have found a photocopy of William Vine's 1811-1812 meteorological diary, at East Sussex Record Office but would very much like to locate the original, as it may lead to some letters which I also know to have survived at least until 1934.

best regards

Steve
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 /51/61 census lookup, William VINE - update
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 October 20 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Postscript. A few years ago, I met several of my New Zealand cousins, now living in Auckland, Wellington, and New Plymouth - and found a second photograph of the portrait of esther Vine, though no trace of the original painting. However, it's possible that the painting was lost during the Great Depression when the family's house in Wellington, and all its contents, had to be sold. I suspect it no longer exists. I still have not located the present whereabouts of William Vine's diary, but am in touch with another cousin who has many of the original letters and other documents. I set up a website http://www.williamvine.net which contains copies of much of this information.
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)