Author Topic: o'neills in Rakaia NZ  (Read 28154 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: o'neills in Rakaia NZ
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 June 11 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Beg

Yes, many of the points you make, I'd covered earlier.   ;)

But just taking this slowly, and awaiting further info from the lister "Jacky".   :)

~  Lu

Offline jck1103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 June 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
hi lu
read begs reply very interesting also dont understand why wayne is certain that leslie benjamin is not benjamins and elizabeths son perhaps he knows something i dont ! havent got to grips with smiley faces yet for some reason i cant do them  ::) oh perhaps i can !! ha ha. would love to get to the bottom of this puzzler been doing family history for 15 years and this one is a real stickler. grateful for all help thank you

regards jacky

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 June 11 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacky

Just spotted your incoming post.   :)

To ease the confusion regarding the Army records at Archives -Wellington  ... it's probably best to just follow the instruction given in Beg's post, and add a request for digistisation of Leslie Benjamin's file at the link provided.  ;)
[Even I have difficulty at times comprehending what is written in Archives NZ's blurb.   ::)   But ALL WW1 files now have the word "restricted" added to them ...  and it's not made easy by Archives' to navigate their website and find the ordering page or further instructions and explanations. ]
Once requested though, the Army record should appear online at the Archway (website) within two weeks.

I remain confident that "Benjamin Leeson" is indeed Leslie Benjamin.   :)    (Possibly a variation in name has come about, so as to distinguish him from his father ?)

I haven't found any (further) records for a "Benjamin Leeson"  ... and there is just the one death of a "Benjamin O'NEILL" (in 1927) showing on the NZ index.  

Fingers crossed then that the NZ Army record provides the confirmation you're needing.   :)

{I know I said earlier I'd add some further info for these O'NEILLs - will wait though till army info is to hand.}

Cheers

~  Lu  

Offline jck1103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 June 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
hi lu

have just requested more info from archway re army record lets hope this clears things up. found birth death marriage nz interesting better than ours in uk. i think that leslie is a corruption of leeson but wont type tree up until proved i hope  :-\ having a mini heatwave here at mo so hot and bothered  8) but got the hang of the smileys he he

regards jacky

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 June 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jacky

Best I think to let Wayne add further to the thread.   ;)

[But maybe details for "Benjamin Leeson" /  "Leslie Benjamin" are "unavailable" not only because of the name variation, but also due to the fact that he lived a good deal of his life in the UK ... disappeared of the NZ radar, if you like.    Depends too I guess, when this O'NEILL tree was researched ... there are just so many more easily-accessible records these days than there were even just a few years back. ]

Just gotta play the "waiting game", now.   ;)  ;)

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 June 11 15:41 BST (UK) »
He, he  .. glad you got the "smileys" sorted.    Hope there'll be plenty more to come when we get all this "nutted out".  :)
[Know what you mean about the "heatwave" - I just got back from the UK last week - with a London suntan ! ]

~  Lu

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again...

Quote from: Lucy2

Yes, many of the points you make, I'd covered earlier.   ;)

Was aware of that. Was just adding the Births fiche (place of registration) info as I've learned to mistrust the BDM website.
Plus no-one had asked Wayne for his sources.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: wayboy2

Benjamin b1842 in Rosscommon, Wicklow Son of Richard & Hannah (nee LEESON) married abt 1841.

IFHF actually gives the year of birth as 1844 (f.Richard, m.Hannah, parish of Castlemacadam (COI), Co.Wicklow)
Unfortunately it doesn't mention Hannah's maiden name. Would be handy if it was LEESON, as you said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: jck1103

He states on his marriage certificate that his father was leslie benjamin !!

Is there a mother listed on the marriage certificate as well.

Regards
Beg

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 01:02 BST (UK) »

Is there a mother listed on the marriage certificate as well.

Regards
Beg

leslie married in romford essex uk 1918

Mmm  ... correct me if I'm wrong   :D  ... but  don't UK Marriage certificates record only the names (plus rank or occupation), of the bride's and groom's father ?    (Mother's names not recorded. )

~  Lu

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 02:09 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Lucy2

Correct me if I'm wrong   :D  ... but  don't UK Marriage certificates record only the names (plus rank or occupation), of the bride's and groom's father ?    (Mother's names not recorded. )

Hi again...

Learn something new every day.

'Marriage certificate' help sheet 185K download

Seems fairly discriminatory :-)

Regards
Beg