Author Topic: BMD Records for Francis CANDY in Victoria  (Read 7540 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
BMD Records for Francis CANDY in Victoria
« on: Wednesday 22 June 11 10:05 BST (UK) »
Fellow listers

I am wondering if there is any mention in the Victorian Registers of a man who could be my great great grandfather, Francis CANDY?

He disappeared in 1854 from Gloucester, England, under mysterious circumstances leaving behind his infant son, my great grandfather.  He may have emigrated to Australia, and may have married again.

I have just found the following intriguing newspaper account in the Melbourne ARGUS for Wednesday 2 May 1860:

MINOR OFFENCES.- James Shannon,for being drunk while in charge of a conveyance, was fined 10s,-Francis Candy was charged with being a lunatic, from some cause unknown. The prisoner's brother stated that he had been showing symptoms of aberration of intellect for the last four years, and was occasionally very violent. He one day threw a dog at one of his own children, but fortunately missed his aim. The dog, however, was thrown with such force against the wall of the house that it was killed. The prisoner, who was said to be a teetotaller, was remanded for seven days for medical inquiry.

This is a real long shot, but is there any possible record of a marriage of a Francis CANDY, or any births of children where the father's name is Francis CANDY between, say 1855 and 1860?

Any help with this would be most welcome. I have been looking for some lead on this man since 1969, so needless to say it would good to find him, even if the story isn't a happy one.

Kind regards

Phil Candy
Toowoomba, Queensland

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BMD Records for Francis CANDY in Victoria
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
Phil,

Maybe a bit late, in 1874 Francis John Candy (born Gloucester) married Fanny Sando, Reg#3182.

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil :)

There is this death in Vic which could be the Francis who married in 1874 :-\.

CANDY Francis John
Father Frank  Mother Eliza BICK
At Collingwood  49 years  1898  Reg#15798

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janet and Cando

He is my great grandfather, the one who was abandoned back in Gloucester. He was born in 1850 and came with other members of the CANDY family to Australia in 1855, without either his mother (Eliza BICK) or father (Francis CANDY.)

Legend has it that his father at least came to Australia and worked on the goldfields, but I've never previously found any corroborating evidence.

Interestingly, one of Francis CANDY's brothers (George) was committeed to Yarra Bend Asylum and spent 29 years there and in Beechworth before dying in 1915, so there is the  possibility of some kind of inherited mental instability.

Kind regards

Phil

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
Phil,

What relationship was Harriet (age 54) and Eliza (age 26) to Frank (age 4) on board the "Thames" as assisted passengers in 1855 - or is this a different Candy family to your own?

Link: http://210.8.122.120/indexes/index_search_results.asp

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Janet

Once again, you have pinpointed the right family connection.

Little Frank (Francis John) was travelling to Australia with his grandmother (Harriet) and his aunt (Eliza)

The family came to Australia in a series of steps (sometimes called chain migration); first came the eldest son William and his wife Mary in 1849, then William's brother Thomas in 1852, then their father William (senior), brother George and sister Jane in 1854.  They were followed in due course by young Frank, Harriet (the matriarch of the family) and Thomas's wife Eliza in 1855.

I was just hoping that the Internet had opened up new data sources and indexes from when I first did this research back in the 1960s! 

Kind regards and thanks for looking.

Phil

Offline LoganH

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
found some births

Francis Joseph born to Francis John and Fanny Sands, birth place Fitz (Fitzroy,Melbourne) in 1875 reg no. 9047
Eliza Esther Jan born to Francis John and Fanny Sando, birth place Fitz, in 1876 reg no. 23022
Florence Emily born to Francis John and Fanny Sando, birth place Coll (Collingwood, Melbourne) in 1878 reg no. 14906
Henry Ernest born to Frances Jno and Fanny Sando, birth place Collingwood in 1880 reg no. 7787
Frances Mary born to Francis John and Fanny Sando, birth place Coll (Collingwood) in 1882 reg no. 8260
William Arthur born to Francis John and Fanny Sando, birth place Coll in 1883 reg no. 22749
little Wm Arthur died, father Fran Jno, mother Fanny Sands age 10m, death place Cwood in 1884 reg no. 8509
Arthur Richard born to Francis John and Fanny Sando, birth place Coll in 1885 reg no. 24507
Edith May born to Francis John and Fanny Sando, birth place Coll in 1887 reg n. 27339

:)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, it was a pretty standard Victorian family! In fact there were three others:

Albert Edward (1889)
Alice Eliza (1891)
Edwin Carne (1893)

Thanks a lot for listing out all those kids; I'm pretty sure that i have all the descendants of that particular couple - Francis John CANDY and Fanny SANDO.

Kind regards

Phil

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hello  again Phil

Your missing Francis Candy  when was he born  and what were his parents names?

might be a mistranslation of Candy, so will check using  his parents details

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au