Author Topic: BMD Records for Francis CANDY in Victoria  (Read 7535 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BMD Records for Francis CANDY in Victoria
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenn

That's a creative approach: his father's name was William and his mother was Harriet. He was born in Gloucester in 1829.

I think that if he was admitted to an Asylum, and died there, he might not have had a regular death certificate. In other cases, I have noticed that (in Victoria at least) people who died in mental institutions may not have had regular death registration.

Kind regards and thanks as always

Phil

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide023/PROVguide023.jsp
 - there are quite a few digitised patient registers for asylums now online.

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx
Also check NSW - a Francis Candy is listed arriving in 1855 aged 25 on the Asiatic.
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.asp?series=NRS5316&item=4_4792&ship=Asiatic
 - you can see him here, page 9, listed under single men, confirms he was from Gloucester.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
Good find Jorose

looking at  the shipping manifest

He is aged 25 and a Mason

It gives  his father as William  living in Melbourne  and his mother Harriet living in Glouster
his religion is as a Dissenter......

A. J. Act brought him to Australia  and paid 5 Pounds.

This would indicate he would have had to stay in NSW  for an agreed time  working  for  A. J. Act  But in saying  this  A J Act may not be a person  but an immigration scheme.  I don't klnow what I am talking about here but perhaps a fellow rootschatter may shed some further lught on  the matter
Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much. I'm going to have to eat humble pie for breakfast; after researching this family for 42 years I didn't think there were any more records in Australia left to check, but I was wrong!

I'd love to look at at the shipping manifest for the Asiatic. It's not the same as the passenger list is it? It's wonderful to have conclusive proof that Francis did actually come to Australia in 1855.

Thinking about A.J.Act, I'm wondering if this could be the NSW Assisted Immigrants Act of 1852? In copperplate handwriting, a capital I and a J can look very similar.

Thanks once again for re-energizing my search.

This news now means that my great grandfather (Francis John CANDY), my great great grandfather (Francis CANDY) and my great great great grandfather (William CANDY) all came to Australia in either 1854 or 1855.  I know what became of Francis John and also William, but I am still in the dark about what happened to Francis after he arrived in Sydney in May 1855.  I can't see any possible death for him in the NSW records or in New Zealand, but can anyone else help?  The question is: Is there a death record for Francis CANDY, born in 1829, somewhere in Australia?

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Phil

Offline Kelly123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Phil and Mary Anne

My name is Kelly and I am writing to you because I think my mother may be related to you.

I was looking on the internet at my family history yesterday and came across your post regarding Francis Candy, your great great grandfather who abandoned his son (your great grandfather) in England and disappearing in 1854.  My great grandfather is Henry Ernst Candy (1880-1946).  Anyway, my mother now can't stop wondering who your mother and father are - is it one of Henry Ernst's brothers?

Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon,
From Kelly.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly and Welcome to Rootschat.

If you look back and carefully read all of the posts on this thread you will see that you and Phil share an ancestor:  Francis John CANDY who is (I think I've got it right) your 2g-grandfather and Phil's great grandfather.

Francis John CANDY came to Australia with his grandmother in 1855, aged 4.

He married Fanny SANDO and they had a number of children, ,any of whom are listed by LoganH who includes this birth:
Henry Ernest CANDY born to Frances Jno and Fanny Sando, birth place Collingwood in 1880 reg no. 7787

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat, Kelly.
Apparently we are also related, through Henry Ernest Candy's mother, Frances or Fanny Sando. Fanny's father was Joseph Carne Sando, and I am descended from his brother Anthony.
Cheers,
Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Kelly123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darren

Thanks for your reply, it's amazing to hear from a distant relative that I never knew I had!  I've just discovered this site - over the past long weekend I have been looking on ancestry.com.au about my ancestors and have come across amazing information.  My family tree started off simple enough (I started with my grandmother) but then when you add in all their brothers and sisters, their children and then their children it becomes mind blowing.  It's funny to think there would be thousands of people out there who I'm related to. 

Thanks,
From Kelly.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Kelly,
You have no idea of how many relatives you have, lol.
Just with the Candy's, and Sando's alone, it is a massive family tree.

Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.