Author Topic: John Lehane  (Read 6481 times)

Offline shana1106

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Lehane
« on: Wednesday 22 June 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to Rootschat so please forgive any inexperience!

I am trying to find out any information regarding my husband's grandfather John Lehane and relatives. Apparently born in Kanturk, Co Cork in 1906, travelled to Wales at some point where he married Katherine Daley (b. 1913 Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil) on 1st Dec 1934. Moved to Corby employed by steelworks, then moved to Kettering. Last heard of in London having left during 1960's. Had a brother called Denny(?) believed to have remained in Cork who had 13 children (?). Also had a sister possibly Molly who married and lived in Kanturk and who used to write to him. He was unable to read. Any information gratefully received. My father-in-law has assumed for some time that his father is no longer on this earth plane but would like to have closure on what actually happened to him and maybe get in touch with his family in Cork. 
Best wishes Julie
The picture is of John Lehane with a next door neighbour and my father-in-law sitting on the step.

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Lehane
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie welcome to rootschat.

The 1911 Ireland Census is free on line

http://www.census.nationalarchives.IE/search/

There is a few possibilities for your John Lehane in the Kanturk area.

Do you have his marriage record? This would be the best place to start, the Civil Registration Record would list his father. And the parish church record might list his mother and father.

Regards
Castlemcauliffe

Offline shana1106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 11 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi many many thanks for that  :) - I need to double check the certificate when I get home but my notes says that John's father was James and a farmer.  There was one James who was a farmer on the census (I put Cork as the county) which seems pretty hopeful, but not sure how I can check further as the possible brother and sisters names aren't there which was a bit disappointing.  Should I contact Merthyr for any possible extra details on the marriage record?
Any help gratefully appreciated.
J :)

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 11 15:27 BST (UK) »
This is one possible family near Kanturk.

Molly usually a nickname for Mary.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Coolclough/Dromalour/415448/

Perhaps Denis was not born by 1911.

Castlemcauliffe

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Dramalour is quiet near Kanturk

Castlemcauliffe

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 11 15:49 BST (UK) »
James Lehane married Mary Sweeney in 1889 in Kanturk RC

They had a son Denis in 1890 in Kanturk RC

This is probably Denis with his father James in 1901 for some reason not with the mother but she was still alive

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Greenane/Ballintober/1148165/

This looks like Denis in 1911

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Greenane/Clash/416647/

The family had a daughter Margaret Lehane in 1893 Kanturk RC

This is the marriage of James Lehane and Mary Sweeney

Kanturk 30th Jan 1889 James Lehane Full Age Bachelor Labourer Kanturk son of Charles Lehane Labourer married Mary Sweeney Full Age Spinster Kanturk daughter of Denis Sweeney (deceased) Labourer witnesses: Daniel Drew and Hanora Shine Cel. D O'Mahony

Castlemcauliffe

Offline shana1106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
wow! thank you so much - so it is the right family!  ;D Can I ask how/where you got the details of the marriage?  So I guess from here I need to find members of the rest of the family to see whether anyone can remember him coming back to Ireland in the 60's -although I guess that is a shot in the dark.  Are there any indexed records of deaths in Ireland?  One school of thought is that he went to London for a while before returning to Ireland when he left the family in the 60's. Or is there any other avenue I could try?

Again, any help is gratefully received - I can't believe I didn't know about this site before!  :)

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 June 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
Its looks likely that this is correct family. I would advice you try confirm that John parents were James Lehane and Mary Sweeney from his marriage in UK.

There is a index of deaths in Ireland up to 1957 online.

As for the marriage I had that in my files I grew up in this area and have thousands of records collected over the years.

Castlemcauliffe

Offline jimbo375

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 November 11 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just discovered this site and your posts by pure accident.

The John lehane you refer to is/was my father. He had 2 sons and 1 daughter

I hve been trying to trace his movements from when he left Corby in the late 60's I think. I have not really given it the time it obviously needs, but now I am retired and am now making a proper effort to find out what happened to him.
I fyou would be willing to give me any information I would be very gratefull and any information I can give you, you are welcome to have it

many thanks

jim lehane