Author Topic: What do you remember- seems impossible now  (Read 91711 times)

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: What do you remember- seems impossible now
« Reply #279 on: Friday 20 March 15 22:51 GMT (UK) »
A young (30ish) colleague who was trawling through some paperwork suddenly burst out "Did any of you know that the Post Office used to own BT?!!"

On seeing an old GPO telegram that I'd kept from my 21st birthday my young (30ish) son asked if I'd received it from the Queen!!! :o :o

justmej
Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Friday 20 March 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
 Sorry if this has already been mentioned but there are so many replies.
s Did anyone see the programme on Tuesday "Back in Time for Dinner"where a family are taken back to conditions in the 50`s?
The scene where the poor mother was confronted by a tin of pilchards and an old "bully beef " tin opener like a bull`s head had me in stitches!Neither she nor her O.H had any idea of how to use it.
The tin looked like it had been in an accident before the pilchards were extracted through a ragged hole in the top.
I don`t remember there only being a brown National loaf, you could get an off white loaf and every one got one egg a week instead of the one between five people as stated in the programme. Lots of mistakes--- as usual. I wonder if people who actually lived through those times were consulted.
My son bought an old "bully beef "tin opener at a flea market a week or so back, he paid thousands----.Well -more than £20-- they saw him coming-!
We got our milk from the Co-op and each morning put the required number of tokens in the empty bottles on the front step. They never got stolen. Our Divi number was 19325.
                                                                   Viktoria.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Saturday 21 March 15 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Here in Tomorrowland, I can remember getting our first telephone, a two party line. 2 rings for us and one ring for the other party. That would have have been around the mid 50's. Great fun listening in to the other line, THEY SWORE!  Wasn't used to hearing that!!

Our first fridge was a huge Kelvinator with a wee freezer box at the top, and Mum used to make lovely ice cream, and I can also remember the excitement the day that arrived, probably also around the same time. When I say huge, I mean on the outside! The walls and door were about 4 inches thick! 

It's amazing how many things we can remember from way back when something triggers our Memory.

When I retired I took a part time job in a local Retirement Village as Activities/Recreation person in the Dementia Unit.

Some of our "Reminiscing" sessions were fantastic!  As as usual with dementia, couldn't remember what happened yesterday, but wow were they on the ball with amazing detail re their early days! (Sometimes quite raunchy little anecdotes too).

Sometime's I would begin with a teaser memory of my own to start them off, other times it would just be a spontaneous remark from someone and we would just run with it!  Smell and music were great triggers too!  Lucky I was old enough to know most of the good old war songs, and other popular singalong song from the "Old Days"!

I would start playing them on the piano, then away they went.  Great fun.  One lady resident came up to me one day and pushed me off the piano stool, then sat down, fiddled a bit, then struck up an amazing rendition of Seventy Six Trombones!  Incredible, she was so good!  Used to be able to get her to play again occasionally, but most times she looked at me as if I had three heads and said not to be so stupid, that she had no idea how to play that thing!

Of course the job had it's "moments", but on the whole I thought it the best most fun job I'd ever had!

Jeanne 😃

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Saturday 21 March 15 00:29 GMT (UK) »
I remember the first (for me) door that opened automatically. Stood there amazed and didn't know whether to walk through it or not.   ;D
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Saturday 21 March 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Here in Canada all telephone calls had to go through the local exchange, which was only open from 8 in the morning until 7 at night, with an hour off at noon.
Having to book calls to my parents in England at Christmas at least 10 days in advance and hoping there was an openingThis was the late sixties.
Liz
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Saturday 21 March 15 07:30 GMT (UK) »
My earliest memories go back to the 1930's and 'Stop me and buy one' is probably the one most remembered;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatpicturegalleries/10185036/Stop-me-and-buy-one.html?frame=2619703
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Saturday 21 March 15 08:30 GMT (UK) »
A late memory was when the 1901 census was released online there was a period when it was only available office hours and never on Sundays.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Saturday 21 March 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
After all the 'hoo-haa' of the last few days.... I remember Smoggy/foggy days as a natural phenomenon (almost  - well due to coal fires etc....) But we loved them... as children getting lost in fog was brilliant fun.

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Saturday 21 March 15 08:59 GMT (UK) »
An earlier post mentions 'party line' phones...
Which reminded me of something very naughty that my friends and I discovered in the 60's!!!!

If you went into an old fashioned phone box......  with the old black phone.

You could get 'free' phone calls.

Does anyone else remember how :)   :-[ so naughty. 

We tried it with lots of numbers and it worked for quiet a few years.

It would mostly work with local numbers only.  cos remembering longer ones was not that easy.

So this is how it worked... ooooo dear.... feel so guilty now:

You picked up the handset, after writing down the number, and then pressed the two little chrome prongs - carefully - so if the number was 2.3.4.5.   you would press it twice then break - then again 3 times, with a break, and so on...  sssshhhh dont tell anyone, I may get charged... :)  

I feel awfully guilty now... so this remembering thing - can be a bad thing :(  Maybe I should send BT 3s and 4d to cover the cost.... :) 

also how often or who else always  pressed button 'b' just in case :) before starting a phone call.

Oh dear, I am going to have to go in the naughty corner now....

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :-X :-\
xin

xin