Author Topic: What do you remember- seems impossible now  (Read 91076 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you remember- seems impossible now
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Journey into space was cool!  Is that the one when the introduction voice went really slow......  AND SPOOKY 👍?....JOURNEY...INTO.....SPACE ?

And another one I remember was Randy Stone....on the NIGHT BEAT!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 05:41 GMT (UK) »
I remember those door steps, shining white or red particularly those that led directly to the street  or had small front gardens. My mother only did ours occasionally which embarrassed me, which was met with ,if you want it done you know what to do.I tried it was still done only occasionally.
Liz
Looked even better with the ''polisher'' run over it. Until it rained then whoooooops
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I remember getting a new twin tub washing machine when I first got married and my Grandma often reminded me that a dolly tub and posher was all she had for washday, along with a mangle for wringing out the wet washing before line drying it propped up by a wooden prop, made years earlier by my Grandad.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Memories......................indeed  ;D

I can just about remember helping my Granny to make butter in what looked like a big sweetie jar with paddles on the inside & a handle on the outside to turn the paddles...........the thicker it got.....the harder it was to turn & when thick enough we had to roll it into balls with small things that again looked like paddles but these ones had lines on  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
I bet you wish you still had one of those Annie....probably a collector's item now....we collect 1940s house house items for the school groups visiting the Heritage Centre where I am a volunteer....seeing them view a dolly tub, posher and mangle with idle curiosity is always a source of amusement....when they ask how you "Plug it in"   ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU