Author Topic: What do you remember- seems impossible now  (Read 91604 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What do you remember- seems impossible now
« Reply #90 on: Friday 24 June 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Ah yes!
One of my early computer programs was calculating how many notes and coins of each denomination to pay out!
And given that there were some minimums, too! I.E. wage packets had to have at least 2 £1 notes.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 24 June 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
£1 notes!!!
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 24 June 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Still available in the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 24 June 11 22:57 BST (UK) »

Ooh - i didn't know that - how interesting.

Talking of payslips - I am already nostalgic for the normal printed on paper payslips we had only a few years ago instead of these really annoying ones where you have to tear off all the edges to open them and get left with a tiny scrap of paper in the middle!

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 24 June 11 23:08 BST (UK) »

Talking of payslips - I am already nostalgic for the normal printed on paper payslips we had only a few years ago instead of these really annoying ones where you have to tear off all the edges to open them and get left with a tiny scrap of paper in the middle!

Milly

Bit like take-home pay these days:  they tear off all the 'edges' with regard to tax, NI contributions, pension, and you're left with a tiny scrap  :o :o :o ;D
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 24 June 11 23:08 BST (UK) »

Ooh - i didn't know that - how interesting.

Milly

The days of paper payslips are numbered altogether.  Our company's had online electronic payslips for Irish employees for 3 years and for the UK for two years now - as long as you can remember your password it's a fantastic system  ;)   :P
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Friday 24 June 11 23:13 BST (UK) »

Milly

Bit like take-home pay these days:  they tear off all the 'edges' with regard to tax, NI contributions, pension, and you're left with a tiny scrap  :o :o :o ;D

oh how true ;D ;D ;D

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 25 June 11 08:40 BST (UK) »
Going back to the telex machines, I was in the WRAC in the early 1960's working as a SigCen Operator. We would type out a message on the teleprinter which would come out of another machine that was attached to the printer called a reperforator,  as a long tape with holes in it with the message in words along the bottom - you could see if there were any mistakes before sending it on to the addressee.

Messages would then be sent  round the world to other army signal centres using a reperforator,  when a message came in, again it would be on tape. You then threaded this tape through the reperf  and it translated the holes in the tape to words on onto paper which could be passed to however it was addressed to.

We used to look forward to Christmas when messages came from places like Singapore and Hong Kong which when printed out the paper could be as much as  two or three feet long.

All you could see as it was printing would be a series of X's with occasional other letters but when the message finished the paper would be held up lengthways to see Santa and his reindeer and under neath would be the message "Greetings from ......(name of the sigcen who sent it)

Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 25 June 11 09:02 BST (UK) »
I remember not so long ago that if you discreetly mentioned to a young lady that her bra strap was showing, she would look embarrassed.

:o :o :o :o
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex